When answers hold no guidance

MattSC

Ive only been woodworking for about a year including research and practice.  Ive recently faced a problem of how to weigh functional vs quality (maybe thats the wrong word... pizazz yeah thats the word).  To bring things into perspective we need to raise the TV elevation 28"  Sounds simple and it is... there are many ways to do this.   In my situation I cant use the wall it has to be from the floor up... I can build a table but even at that i can build a functional table (read construction quality 2x4 and plywood) or do it with hand milled lumber etc. or i can build an entertainment center (low profile) no matter the solution im still left with the same problem.  The one thing I strive for in woodworking is patience and the one thing I abhor is compromise. I do know there is no ONE answer and i know this isnt a new topic.  I dont know maybe this is more than a rant rather than looking for an answer.  *sigh... blah Im just overthinking things the Miss' wants the TV raised so i Guess i better get to raising it.

quote:  When someone plays in the the Super Bowl you never have to ask "if they gave their all"  you can just LOOK at them and KNOW..  

*quote 2: man editing that post really took it out of me lol.

The walls cant be relied on to hold the weight. We are at that "first house stage" and I do not hold confidence in the outside walls or ceiling.  I know, I know... Safety. I am confident in the walls and ceiling but i dont want to chance it lol.  Sorry just realized that further clarification may be needed. Read *mobile home*

I don't see a question so it must be a rant.

But, not sure if you're ranting that the wife wants a tv stand or that You have to make it orthat you live in a mobile home.

You and the wife sit down and decide what you want and then build it. You know the saying. "If you build it the wife will.... Well never mind!

If you abhor compromise I feel for your marriage. LOL

I think a guy would have to know exactly what he wanted before he would even know if he was compromising. For me, woodworking is a compromise, I usually can't buy exactly what I want, so I build it, not that it ever comes out EXACTLY what I wanted, damn, there is another compromise…

I think the question is go cheap or go big, if your going cheap hell just buy a RTA from walmart, save the problems in design and building, But, most likely we already know the answer, Or else you would have not made this thread, Is the question is how much and what quality? I would suggest making a target cost and work within that.

You could get a low TV stand and add blocks under it to raise it to the height needed. Spray paint them black and they will blend in just fine. Blocks could be added between the wheels and the cabinet if it needs to be mobile.

Why go to any big efforts until you are in a conventional home ?

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Mike translated my post very well. Sorry for all the confusion. Lets call it late night rambling. I was feeling frustrated about the design phase. Some great suggestions from you guys. I'll post in project journal when I've finished the design.