A Bunch O' Boxes

wtnhighlander

I got a little time on the boxes this week. I cut fingers on the cherry box sides, but I'm not as happy with them as I would like b4e0e574f3066d91b19af59cdc7bfb7f.jpg0f9574cff8cf0e4e08839143ba273811.jpg38334af8c7bfdf686e9bb3907009c00b.jpg I did the long fingers on the TS, but had some chipout at one corner. I did the short sides by hand, and my saw didn't track perfectly. It fits, but with a slight gap. Still thinking about how to improve that. I switched back to using my TS and miter sled for the walnut "straps" on the pine box. Still one piece to cut. 8f836fb8761a2d505f4c2397626803e4.jpg Getting there, slowly.

• Like 2

A few more minutes of stolen time in the garage today (a quick few, since it is our 29th wedding anniversary!), so not much accomplished. I decided to try tightening the fit of the finger joints on the cherry box, by glueing a plane shaving on each side of the end-grain figure. That should give me enough "meat" to pare to a snug fit. 503e74625e3579ec314334322f502e13.jpg38b02e64803069f52a43ac5ac0c9cbd9.jpg1b08968d63a311be78cbea360892783a.jpg I know most would just re-cut the parts in a little box like this, but I have my reasons.

1. I'm cheap.
  2. I need the practice recovering from such mistakes.
  3. Sharing it here may help some poor noob fix THEIR mistake in the future.
While the glue dried on the cherry parts, I started forming some wooden hinges for the pine box. These are made of mulberry, and will be applied over the walnut strap in the back. Mulberry has a nice gold color when fresh cut. I'm hoping a good finish and avoiding the sun will help it stay that way, so it emulates a brass hinge. e27d5f3fc6079aa75347aa128e5fb143.jpg0d454f910a6f1aefcee9036772839268.jpg50f3265a572b863a0fb47e28c7c27768.jpg The hinge pins are just finish nails. I will cut them to length and use CA glue on each end to lock them in place. The leaves of the hinge will eventually have a more decorative shape. How decorative depends on how ambitious I feel at the time!
  • Like 1

Might I suggest the you exchange the STEEL finish nails on your hinges with some BRASS rod of equal diameter.

I'm afraid the even with glue and finish over them they may eventually rust and stain the wood. You can find small diameter brass rod at you local hardware store in one foot lengths and it is not really very expensive.

Rog

Might I suggest the you exchange the STEEL finish nails on your hinges with some BRASS rod of equal diameter.

I'm afraid the even with glue and finish over them they may eventually rust and stain the wood. You can find small diameter brass rod at you local hardware store in one foot lengths and it is not really very expensive.

Rog

Thanks, Rog. I had considered using brass, and may do so if my local hobby store has some in 1/8". I worry more about the steel rust binding the hinge than about the appearance.

Taking Rog's suggestion to heart, I decided to go with brass pins. None of my local hobby or hardware stores seem to carry 1/8" solid round brass rod, so I had to improvise by filing some brass machine screws down to size. ac215b214a3e1468f8e2847c09cf4c57.jpg Works pretty well, but the screws are harder that the rod stock I've used before. Planned to peen the ends for a friction fit, but that might not work, we'll just have to wait and see. Any opions regarding attachment of wooden hinges to the box? These will go on the outside, strap-hinge style. What say ye, glue or screws? On another note, these arrived to use on the cherry box: b816674e6929d8488f47801f36217357.jpg First time using Brusso, but they seem very well made. Glad I don't live in Cali, though: 9dae0e22c149a473aac481abb252d9c7.jpg Seriously????

First time using Brusso, but they seem very well made. Glad I don't live in Cali, though: 9dae0e22c149a473aac481abb252d9c7.jpg Seriously????

No, the kind of diseases you'd get from a screw are entirely different - but then the screw is also a bit different from the ones you're talking about here...

Edited by Dewald Swanepoel

I've found 1/8 brass rod at TruValue Lowe's and Menards

Larry, I tried Home Depot (no brass), and Hobby Lobby (no solid rounds, only tubing). I don't recall having seen any brass at Lowe's in the past, but like HD, their stock varies by region. We actually have two Lowe's stores in town, and they carry significantly different inventory at each, geared toward their neighborhood market.

No TruValue hardware in the area that I am aware of, and no Menard's.

... and I'm too lazy to drive 1.5 hours to look for brass rod in Memphis.  There is probably an industrial supplier in my area, but no retail that I can find.

I use Ace Hardware store or Lowe's. They both have a selection of metal (steel, stainless steel, brass and aluminum) rods in various diameters and lengths (12", 24" and 48"). You must live in a far away area of the country. :)

They also carry some square stock and tubing in metals, just for future information.

Rog 

I use Ace Hardware store or Lowe's. They both have a selection of metal (steel, stainless steel, brass and aluminum) rods in various diameters and lengths (12", 24" and 48"). You must live in a far away area of the country. :)

They also carry some square stock and tubing in metals, just for future information.

Rog 

Home Depot had 1/8" round rod in steel and aluminium, but not brass. Haven't made it to Lowe's yet. I think there is an Ace Hardware somewhere near my workplace, maybe they'll have it.

* Note: The forum's built-it spell checker must be British. See spelling of aluminum above.

• Like 1

Larry, I tried Home Depot (no brass), and Hobby Lobby (no solid rounds, only tubing). I don't recall having seen any brass at Lowe's in the past, but like HD, their stock varies by region. We actually have two Lowe's stores in town, and they carry significantly different inventory at each, geared toward their neighborhood market.

No TruValue hardware in the area that I am aware of, and no Menard's.

... and I'm too lazy to drive 1.5 hours to look for brass rod in Memphis.  There is probably an industrial supplier in my area, but no retail that I can find.

The tubing would work.  I use them for  pins for knife scales.  But I have always thought they would look nice on exposed wood hinges.  They are easy to make, just brass tubing, smaller rods or tubing inside, tinted epoxy and a hand vacuum pump.  They are kind of fun and quick to make and with a little imagination no two are alike.  They can't be peened, but a friction fit for a hinge should work.  The second picture with the square tube washed out, but in the center is a stainless rod.

copper.JPG

square.JPG

• Like 1

I got the walnut 'straps' glued into their dadoes, after sanding the box to 320 grit. Then I used files to radius the corners of the walnut. 2dbf27c5f46fa536ce66e24c27151665.jpg Afraid of damaging the soft pine beneath, I taped around the walnut, and sanded it by hand. This sanding strip works really well, even at higher grits. fd3356b5d696163ee9439da48c9fafb7.jpg That's all I had time for this morning. Still mulling over some design changes to the cherry box, more on that later.