Deal on carbide Forstner bits !

wdwerker

Don't mean to be my usual stick in the mud...

But... :)

One application of Forstner bits is boring super clean holes... So they need to be sharp... They are really easy to sharpen with a Forstner file.. Maybe 30 seconds a bit... But carbide?  You’d have to send them to a service @ probably $10/bit... I’ve got a set in HHS and those are a bitch to hone... Couldn’t imagine carbide...

Don't mean to be my usual stick in the mud...

But... :)

One application of Forstner bits is boring super clean holes... So they need to be sharp... They are really easy to sharpen with a Forstner file.. Maybe 30 seconds a bit... But carbide?  You’d have to send them to a service @ probably $10/bit... I’ve got a set in HHS and those are a bitch to hone... Couldn’t imagine carbide...

I'm tired of sharpening things!

And saving money!!#@$!!

;)

I have used a carbide Forstner bit the same style as those in the ad (but not the same supplier for close to 20 years drilling the holes for 35 MM concealed hinges without sharpening. I clean the bit just like I clean router bits every few weeks and run the drill press at a slower speed.

It's usually the heat that dulls HSS Forstner bits, carbide isn't as sensitive, just keep it clean. Resin build up increases heat which dulls carbide eventually.

I just use commercially available cleaner, Pitch R X was the most recent. CMT makes a good one as well. Sometimes I remove the bearing. After cleaning I dry it off well w compressed air and a towel then spray with Bostic blade & bit spray, the bearing gets Bostic bearing lube. Both are some sort of Teflon type stuff, goes on wet but dries quickly.

Never had it affect finishing. I also use their table and surface spray, majorly reduces the amount of force to slide over the table and fence. When you do it all day any little bit helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e