Rockwell JawHorse

Not really. I have one and it works well with short pieces if they are clamped in the jaws, but planing a long piece (3-4 feet) can cause it to tip. It is handy, just not the one answer for woodworking. I had one for a while before getting my workbench. Once I got my workbench I haven't had it out since.

• Like 1

how big of woodworking task are you looking to do? I think if you're a contractor and need an extra pair of hands yes, but if you're looking into something for a shop,Richard suggestion on a bench may be more in line, I have a work mate, that is good for handy man repairs, but in my shop I have a wood working bench, Even the HF one is not bad for the money, I have one in my shop my got me a few years ago and it is holding up fine, Think of the application and go from there.

It worked well for me before I built my workbench.  It has stirrups you can put your feet in when you are doing something that might tip it.  Clamping a piece of MDF with a strip of wood on it as a planing stop allowed me to use bench planes alright, and if the piece isn't too small you can even use rabbet planes but I doubt you could plow with it.  The stance is a little tricky in the stirrups.  For power tool use like circular saws it is a good height. 

Since building the bench I mostly use it for DIY/Home Repair type things, but sometimes the clearance around the jaw area allows me to do something in it more easily than my other vises. 

• Like 1

If you have the room, a 5' x 2' Harbor Freight work bench for $139.00 is probably a little more stable.. And you can put casters on it and use it as an outfeed table! Just don't expect high quality! It will last you many years!

I own this bench and can attest. It's not the end all but with some love, glue, and patience, it will do work.

I know a guy who wheels his around then tips it up on end at the end of the day. Nice small footprint

• Like 1