Who's preparing for Xmas already?

Brendon_t

Last year I had 6 cutting boards that I rushed to get finished in time for Christmas.  One of the recipients, my sister,  has ordered 6 for her to give as gifts this year to her coworkers.  I'm not getting stuck in the Christmas scramble again.  Who else is getting ready?  What's on the agenda this year? 

image.jpg

Edited by Brendon_t

I actually did these at the start of the year because I didn't know what my travel schedule was going to be..  

We're doing pizza cutters this year that will match last year's ice cream scoops..  This one's in Rosewood.

4BrUWO.jpg

And here's the lot of them ready to go..

SDL88f.jpg

Edited by TIODS
  • Like 1

I actually did these at the start of the year because I didn't know what my travel schedule was going to be..  

We're doing pizza cutters this year that will match last year's ice cream scoops..  This one's in Rosewood.

4BrUWO.jpg

And here's the lot of them ready to go..

SDL88f.jpg

Hey Kev, where did you buy the kits for the pizza cutters?

This is my first year as a woodworker, so I'm probably taking on more than I can handle. I'm doing about 70 trivets from walnut and 2 tiger maple boxes. I need to make some pine versions of the boxes first as I've never made a box so I want to know what to expect. I started the trivets in may. Got about 16 actually done and sanded. But no finish on anything.

I'll be gearing up for Christmas soon. Reindeer season is coming also, planning on doing a booth at seasonal fair thing and doing the proceeds to another dog rescue like I did last year. I don't know what to build for people this year. I do need to make a few pens (cringe) this year I'm planning on a glowing bat signal using crystal resin and yellow photoluminescent powder made from either wenge, or walnut. I do wanna make a "pizza package" for my dad, who a few times a year (usually in winter) has a pizza day at my parent's house and he makes like 10 pizzas and everyone comes over I figure it would consist of a pizza peel, pizza cutter, and some kind of stand or something. Still some thinking to do.

I am jealous of the ice cream scoops and pizza cutters.  When I finally get a lathe, I'll definately be doing more small quick projects. 

The pizza pack sounds awesome too

You'd be surprised at how long it takes to turn a simple handle and finish it. I'd say a well done piece that looks good and is properly sanded and finished can take you 2ish hours. I don't necessarily think that's really that quick given that it's 90 minutes to 2 hours non stop. Then again it's all relative. I can turn a handle for a chisel in 15-20 minutes, but it's got a quick friction polish finish and no flare, and I'm not too worried about sanding to 800 grit. 80/120 is good enough. 

Quicker than a box with joinery, sure. As woodworkers though, we don't do "quick" projects as gifts, without making it "perfect"

• Like 1

I really hope to get on the Woodworking Christmas gifts band wagon next year.  Even in retirement there is to much going on this year... We are in the process of a complete redo of the back yard.  Trying to get it into a "we can't water anything in California" design and still have it look nice.  I need to repair some spots on our tent trailer body that are cracking and letting water in, so I need to teach myself how to repair ABS plastic.  Trip to the Grand Canyon in October.  Oh and I am supposed to receive my Incra router table set up tomorrow so that is going to require some shop furniture type cabinet work.:rolleyes:

• Like 1