WTB: Block Plane

Lee Bussy

I has no planes!

I am not a hand-tool user, I lack the ability to appreciate a Lie Neilsen or the like.  I would like to learn, and I certainly have had enough opportunities to use the proper tool for the job when working but I have not.  For instance I use the RO sander when something is a bit too long - with the expected results. :)

So, I think I'd like to add a block plane to my arsenal.  Preferably something that won't be so bad/cheap I'd never learn, but not so expensive that I avoid the expense.  

Anyone have one sitting around looking for a new home?  If so, let me know and let's talk a price.

Edited by LBussy

Just long into LN and order a rabbeted block plane and don't look back.

That LN rabbet block plane is one of the more agreed-upon planes out there...although the general level of agreement may be due to there not being a great Veritas equivalent. :P

• Like 1

NOT THAT I'M ABOUT TO BUY ... but ...   LN website says this about beginning with planes:

Planes:

Everyone needs a Block Plane, and our No. 60½ Adjustable Mouth Block Plane is the most versatile design. If you start with rough wood, the next tool you need is a Jack Plane -- our No. 62 Low Angle Jack is our favorite.

Why would I want the rabbeting block plane?  Remember, I probably won't understand the explanation anyway ... :)

That's Easy --- You don't... Your first plane should not be a rabbeting BP...

Personally, I prefer the smaller apron planes (102 and 103) -- and so do many others...

However, I do agree, if you get just one block plane, it should be the 60 1/2. If you plan on having few planes (say three or four), then the LAJ is a good second, some sort of smoother third and large shoulder fourth... The R-BP falls around twelfth...

I must be the old guy here.. I have 3 block planes.. An older Stanley 60 1/2, a Stanley 120 and a Stanley 130... And like everyone here, they all get used!  You did good with the LN. You'll enjoy it.. I've not heard one bad thing about them!  Except maybe the price!

Yep, everyone needs a block plane. Mine touches everything I work on. Great for breaking edges, cleaning up end grain, chamfers, leveling high spots on joints. Enjoy it!

You'll love the LN block plane. It's the most used hand tool in my shop. Like Tom said, it touches everything I make at some or several points.