Knockdown Desk

My son (age 21 if that matters) has asked me to make him a desk.  He is a college student so he needs a desk for his computer, etc. for school work.

The plan is for a desk with approx dimensions of 30" D x 29" H x 52" W.  The desk just needs a work surface (no drawers, etc.). 

The slight complication is that he would prefer a desk that is relatively easy to dismantle but still very solid when put together.  I'm hopeful that  a well made desk will serve him well for many years.

Do you have experience making a good quality knockdown (no tools needed) desk for an adult?  

Anything special I should consider for the top work a surface (I am thinking about laminating a couple pieces of cabinet grade ½" or ¾" plywood finished with solid wood edge banding) to keep it from sagging and also make is resistant to indentation marks from pens, etc.?

Any specific wood, finish and/or specialty hardware recommendations?

I did a table a while back with knock down legs. The hardware is basically a corner bracket that connects to the aprons with a dado/saw kerf and some screws. Then you sink a hanger bolt into the corner of your leg, stick the machine screw side through the bracket and cinch down with a wing nut. As it was a big table I actually put two brackets into each corner. Very simple to do, the only hard part was drilling the holes for the hanger bolts as it's going into the corner or the leg as opposed to a flat side. But a simple jig on the drill press makes that easy too.

I don't recall where I got the hardware. Probably woodcraft. Ah, yeah, here you go. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/27A31/hafele-corner-brace-table-leg.aspx

The aprons attach to the top just like any table top. I think I used z clips. With the legs off it becomes very easy to move even by yourself.