Cliff

My shop overhaul

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like my pvc ducting. I don't think I'll ever go metal.

I think it will be fine for my harbor freight collector. But once I upgrade to something more powerful (probably 2 years) I'll do something better. Or at least, bigger diameter. 

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like my pvc ducting. I don't think I'll ever go metal.

I check into using PVC, but almost all my ducts are 6", 7" or 8" & around here, it's a harder to get PVC & fittings above 4" that don't cost a fortune.

7 hours ago, drzaius said:

I check into using PVC, but almost all my ducts are 6", 7" or 8" & around here, it's a harder to get PVC & fittings above 4" that don't cost a fortune.

Really?  PVC 6" wye on the internet $22, Norfab 6" wye $140.  Even a decent spiral 6" wye around here is $70.   I do see what you mean when you go above 6" in PVC.  What a price jump; almost double!  Glad I bought lots of spares before the price on PVC jumped some years back.  I got 10' sticks for about $9.  I see they are $17 now.  I haven't had to buy anything since and still have some 10' sticks, 45's and wyes in the rafters :)  What are people using that is less expensive than PVC?

Some 26 Ga hvac ducting is strong enough for under 3 hp collectors and isn't expensive. When i was talking to someone else about pvc ducting i figured out that the prices are very regionally based and probably because of code and geology. If you live in rocky soil odds are there isn't going to be any demand for larger pvc because people won't dig it in them selves also based off the codes that require sizes or don't allow you to do it your self. I can buy up to 6" sdr35 off the shelf and could order 8" if i wanted to. For my shop i didn't need anything larger than 6" beings that I'd only ever have 1 gate open at a time. Size the ducts to the air that will flow through the duct not  the max the collector will flow.

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Really?  PVC 6" wye on the internet $22, Norfab 6" wye $140.  Even a decent spiral 6" wye around here is $70.   I do see what you mean when you go above 6" in PVC.  What a price jump; almost double!  Glad I bought lots of spares before the price on PVC jumped some years back.  I got 10' sticks for about $9.  I see they are $17 now.  I haven't had to buy anything since and still have some 10' sticks, 45's and wyes in the rafters :)  What are people using that is less expensive than PVC?

Keep in mind that some of us are north of the border - I think @drzaius is in Alberta. Many options that are inexpensive in the US are not the same in Canada. By the time you try to ship something here and possibly pay customs fees on it, you're better off finding an alternative.