Workbench build with Ikea tops

Roger T

Roger I think I am going to follow your lead and do the same thing, but maybe only attaching the top to an existing workbench that I have. How thick do you recommend making it if I'm putting it on top of an existing 2x12 surface? Do you think I'd need all 3 as you have? Your bench turned out REALLY nice btw, great work!

Thanks.

Will

Will,

Top thickness pretty much ends up being personal preference. I am in the camp of thicker is better. As far as putting it on top of your existing bench top, is your top flat now? Is it in nice condition? I do quite a bit of handtool work, so I want the mass of the top and base to be as heavy as possible. If your existing top is in good shape, I see no reason that you could not put some Ikea tops on top of it, and secure them to it with some screws from the underside. I would only secure it along the front edge, to allow for any difference in wood movements between old and new. I wouldn't think you would need 3 additional tops though. 2 more tops and you would end up with a top that is about 3 3/4" thick, which is more than plenty. If you get the top to thick, then you run into issues with holdfasts and various things not wanting to hold properly.

Thanks for the compliment, its much appreciated.

Roger