What is your favorite way to cut miters?

chrisphr

Finished the platform part of the G&G Blanket chest today where you cut miters.  Started with my miter saw, that was a no go, not quite 45degrees.    Went to the incra miter gauge next, that seemed to be 45, but the incra was only long enough to set a stop block for the small sides.  Ended up just cutting to a pencil line on the long boards.  Got acceptable results.

Curious if there are methods are out there that are fast, repeatable and accurate (assume a Kapex is far down on a long list).  Love to hear how you guys tackle miters.  

Cut to length on SCMS -- leaves 'about' 45d and I leave them a tad long...

Then a dedicated 44.8d jig on stationary disk sander to get them final length... Sort of a 'spring miter' :)

I can never seem to clamp them to my satisfaction (or without a lot of frustration), so I use a rub joint with HHG.

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1

I use the TS or Kapex, but if I were in your shoes having your troubles, I would have used a shooting board to dial in dead nuts after initial "rough" cuts on one of the saws.  Nothing can get such perfect results as a shooting board, with the possible exceptions of Trip's jig or a miter trimmer.  A shooting board is the old school solution to an age old problem.

• Like 2

I use the table saw and mitre gauge but never rely upon the graduations on it. I always use a drafting square to set the 45 degree angle. A decent drafting square (read expensive) is normally right on and I have a few from when I used to use them in my engineering days.

It also helps having a sliding table on the TS, though not essential, as you can lock the mitre gauge in the slot.