Bandsaw blade

trz

My experience is that there is no such thing as a good general purpose blade that will handle the range of tasks that I want to do on my bandsaw.  I know that a blade that I find suitable for re-sawing wide stock into veneers will barely cut a curve and definitely won't cut a tight curve.  If you do a limited range of tasks you might get by with one blade.

I recently started using Starrett blades, I find them to be pretty damn nice. As for general purpose, you could get a 3/8" 6 tpi blade which will do some larger radius cuts but nothing tight like a 3/16" blade. Cut quality on resawing will not be too clean as most blades meant for cross cuts and rip cuts are hook tooth with a larger set, versus a resaw blade that has minimal set and skip tooth. 

I wanted a new blade for my band saw but all I found was cheap ones, I have a Kingspors's woodworking shop near by and stopped in, they were able to get me a custom made blade for my saw, the cost was not much more than the price of one off the shelf, but much more superior.  I don't know what you want to do or planing to do I would suggest like stated, getting at least two blades as well, don't go cheap, a good blade will last much longer and well worth the price difference.   

Based on the answers above, it seems that having dedicated blades is the way to go.  With that in mind and without hijacking the thread, I would like to know what you all would recommend as the best re-saw bandsaw blade.  I have a 20" Northfield bandsaw with 5 HP motor.  When I bought the saw, it was in pieces but I have re-furbished it and it will be nearly new.  I intend to dedicate the saw for just re-sawing.  I will not be changing blades.  I am fond of exotic woods.

Edited by wnaziri

Based on the answers above, it seems that having dedicated blades is the way to go.  With that in mind and without hijacking the thread, I would like to know what you all would recommend as the best re-saw bandsaw blade.  I have a 20" Northfield bandsaw with 5 HP motor.  When I bought the saw, it was in pieces but I have re-furbished it and it will be nearly new.  I intend to dedicate the saw for just re-sawing.  I will not be changing blades.  I am fond of exotic woods.

Dedicated saw for resawing, I'd go with a Lenox Tri-Master. Laguna blades have left kind of a sour taste in my mouth from my experiences with them.

Dedicated saw for resawing, I'd go with a Lenox Tri-Master. Laguna blades have left kind of a sour taste in my mouth from my experiences with them.

Thanks Tom.  I must admit that you have very expensive taste in tools.  However, I am of the opinion that buying a carbide blade will likely pay for itself over time.