Fix a hole drilled to big....

Fxguy

Just like the title says, I drilled a hole that was supposed to be 11/32" in walnut for the axle of a toy bulldozer with a 3/8" bit instead. So now the hole is 1/32" too big and there is quite a bit of play in the pre-bought axle (its from wood magazine where you buy the wheels/hardware kit to finish the build). What are some ways to fix it and pros / cons of that method?

Thanks!

Actually come to think of it I don't need to fill the whole thing since the axles don't go all the way through (more of an axle peg). I probably will glue a plug into each side and redrill.

Is one hole too large, or all of them?

You either need to make the hole smaller, or the axle bigger.

You could buy a 3/8" dowel, and use that for the axles if you messed up more than one.

Thats true, I guess I could widen the hole in each of the wheels and use a 3/8" dowel. The only thing is that the Axle is more of a peg with a cap on it and the wheel rotates around it, instead of the axle actually rotating. I could try gluing the axle in place, but not sure if it will be steady enough. 

A couple ways to fix this. One would be to fill the holes with bondo or epoxy and redrill. Both would be hard enough to hold the axle after drilling. The other way would be to partially fill the holes with a good quality wood filler. Wrap one layer of masking tape around the axle and insert into the hole being careful to go straight in so as to not elongate the hole. Leave in place until the filler is dry and then remove the axle, take the tape off and reinsert. I would prefer the first one. With this being behind the "tire" none of the repair will show!

• Like 1

Actually come to think of it I don't need to fill the whole thing since the axles don't go all the way through (more of an axle peg). I probably will glue a plug into each side and redrill.

Thats true, I guess I could widen the hole in each of the wheels and use a 3/8" dowel. The only thing is that the Axle is more of a peg with a cap on it and the wheel rotates around it, instead of the axle actually rotating. I could try gluing the axle in place, but not sure if it will be steady enough. 

You would have to run the 3/8" dowel through and glue into the wheels on both sides, rather than gluing the peg into the body.  If you're okay with the wheels turning together rather than independently that's perfectly viable.

Otherwise I would make the hole larger first, say 1/2", so you will have more of your patch around the new hole.  If you drill an 11/32 hole in a 3/8 plug it's likely to partially disintegrate when drilling the new hole.  Make sure the dowel is going to actually be a snug fit in the hole (test in scrap first) before you commit to anything.