Oh Crap

Chet

"Oh, crap" isn't exactly what I'd have said but you're commended for the family-friendly language.^_^

Just wanted to add that if you turn the saw on(the small main power switch) and let it initialize, you can run the miter gauge/jig/whatever past the blade and if there's a potential trigger the red LED will flash rapidly and the paddle switch for the motor won't power it up for the next 5 seconds.

Quick check for anytime you're using a miter gauge or tenon jig. Might save someone $70-80 for a brake cartridge and more than that for a blade.

"Oh, crap" isn't exactly what I'd have said but you're commended for the family-friendly language.^_^

Just wanted to add that if you turn the saw on(the small main power switch) and let it initialize, you can run the miter gauge/jig/whatever past the blade and if there's a potential trigger the red LED will flash rapidly and the paddle switch for the motor won't power it up for the next 5 seconds.

Quick check for anytime you're using a miter gauge or tenon jig. Might save someone $70-80 for a brake cartridge and more than that for a blade.

You are right Bill after it happened and I realized the cause there was something in the back of my brain (wish it had been in the front of the brain) that was trying to recall something that I had read in the manual about that feature.  I did find it in the manual after the fact but will remember it for the future.  Day late and a dollar short, in this case many dollars.

On any jig or used material I run a very strong magnet  over the cut line to check for metal. It's amazing how well finishes can hide metal fasteners.

A 3/8 or 1/2 dia ball magnet is so handy to find out where the nail gun started firing blanks, finding the nails or screws in drywall , nails in a finished hardwood floor etc?

I'm curious,  if you hit a brad nail that your saw would normally laugh at,  would it fire the cartridge? 

Not unless your finger is touching the brad nail.  I have done this before when making a crosscut sled.

(Or if your finger is touching something else conductive which is also touching the brad nail).

In regards to the question of hitting a brad, this was posted in the Power Tools forum.  So I gather one could cut through a brad nail without triggering the blade brake, but then again maybe not...

Saw Stop sadness

Started by raruss131 Dec 2010

I had a very similar experience. I set-up my dado blade and was making a test cut when the Sawstop brake engaged. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong until I looked carefully at the piece of wood I was cutting. Someone had shot a 23 gauge pin into the wood and the pin contacted the blade. I had looked at the wood before starting the cut, but apparently not well enough. Here's the interesting thing, the pin was shot with enough pressure to that it was below the surface of the wood so it wasn't contacting me, or the miter gauge that I was using to push the wood through the blade. I spoke with Sawstop and learned that they place a radio frequency signal on the blade. If you accidently touch the blade the amplitude of the signal is reduced which the causes the brake to engage. What they think happened in my case was that even though the pin wasn't in direct contact with my skin or the miter gauge, it was very close. When the blade contacted the pin, it acted as an antenna directing the signal to my skin or the miter gauge I was using. This caused the signal level to drop, triggering the brake.

The moral of the story is be sure to carefully inspect any material you plan to run through the Sawstop. If you are not sure, place it in Bypass mode. Of course I had just purchased the dado (a Freud dial-a-width)only a few months before. After this incident it was a total loss, a very costly lesson to learn. The good news is the Sawstop technology works really well. The dado was set-up with the inner and outer blades plus 3 chippers, a lot of mass, and it stopped within a half revolution - pretty amazing