Work sharp 3000 opinions?

SawDustB

Hey guys, I just saw a work sharp 3000 come up locally for $125... Looks to be basically unused, local guy that can't woodwork anymore. They sell for $260 plus tax around here, so it's a decent price. Is this useful for doing some of the sharpening grunt work? I looked at them before, since I currently don't have anything except some small diamond plates and a strop. Thanks!

I had this unit. It worked very well for making my chisels look like mirrors. They were exceptionally sharp and polished. I had a bunch of attachments for it, it can use tormek attachments, however for doing lathe tools it's very hard to repeat your last angle. If you're doing chisels and plane blades it's great. The only real downside is the sandpaper can get expensive. You can get 6" sticky back adhesive discs for cheaper and drill a hole in the center of a stack of them with a little shopmade alignment jig. For 125 bucks though, that's a good price. I paid close to 300 for everything I bought with it (additional wheel, micro mesh, leather honing wheel, tool rest. 

Thanks, Tom, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I figured on the sandpaper expense, and I'm only looking to sharpen plane and chisel blades, so it sounds good. Too bad I missed his ad initially... He had a full set of the veritas mini planes for sale too, but those went immediately.

I had the system and got rid of it.  I did not find it effective for straight edge tools.  The chisel channel adjustment was questionable, I was always frustrated with dull sand paper, and the hassle to clean and replace the disk was--well, a hassle.  ;-)

In my opinion you are better off with waterstones.

miw