Jet Clamps Sale Thread

Dnorris1369

The usual Thanksgiving/BF sale. I do need some more, although I have one that will not hold anything anymore. The head keeps slipping on the bar, making it fairly useless. Have another that feels like it will do the same soon. I see that they have a limited lifetime warranty, I may see what they say about that.

The usual Thanksgiving/BF sale. I do need some more, although I have one that will not hold anything anymore. The head keeps slipping on the bar, making it fairly useless. Have another that feels like it will do the same soon. I see that they have a limited lifetime warranty, I may see what they say about that.

i had that issue but it turned out I had glue stuck in the toothed catch that engages the notches in the bar.  I would pull the head and check that first. 

Is this sale valid online, or is it in-store only?

The flyer says If you can't make it in then mail order or woodcraft.com.  Then in the next paragraph says offer good in store only.  I suggest you call their number and ask:  1-800-225-1153.

OK the three truths about clamps:
You can never have too many.
There are only so many you can afford at one time.
They can be too short.

So assuming that "while quantities last" means there will still be clamps on Sunday when I can get in there (or I can mail order), how should I prioritize my desires?  

I have a lot of small clamps (C type and those two screw wood jaw type)  and a small assortment of bar type clamps some Irwin and some... ahh... Harbor Freight (OK, I admit it I have shopped there).  

How many of a given size would be a starting point for a collection?  

How would you prioritize the sizes, i.e. the most useful,  for say furniture making as opposed to boat building?

The available sizes are 12", 24", 31", and 40".  According to the Jet web site these sizes are the true inside capacity.  I am not thinking the 12" is going to be the most useful and I already have a bunch of smaller clamps.  40 > 31 > 24?    40 > 24 > 31?  Don't favor the 40"?

Don't make the mistake of buying tons of long clamps under the reasoning "well I can always use longer clamps on shorter projects but not vice versa."  If you're anything like me, the longer clamps won't be necessary 95% of the time, and they're much more cumbersome to move around and use.  I wish I had more short (24" or so) clamps and fewer long ones (I have four 50" clamps, and I think I've used that capacity once).  95% of the time I'm using my 24" or 31".

Don't make the mistake of buying tons of long clamps under the reasoning "well I can always use longer clamps on shorter projects but not vice versa."  If you're anything like me, the longer clamps won't be necessary 95% of the time, and they're much more cumbersome to move around and use.  I wish I had more short (24" or so) clamps and fewer long ones (I have four 50" clamps, and I think I've used that capacity once).  95% of the time I'm using my 24" or 31".

This. This years purchase will be more of the 24" and 31" variety. I almost never use the 12" nor the 50". I'd say your best value proposition is to make your clamp rack look like a Bell curve.

Edited by Cochese

What Eric and bgreenb said - think of what you are making and the sizes you will need. The Jets on sale are parallel clamps, so think about what benefits the parallel clamps offer over F-style clamps, pipe clamps, etc. Maximize the benefits of the parallel clamps in sizes you will use the most. The only way to know that is to have a project in mind that will utilize them.

If you are building dining tables, bed frames, etc - you will need longer clamps. Case and cabinet work will depend on the size of the cabinets, but ballpark 24"-36". Small panel glue-ups, jewelry boxes, drawers, and the like - the 12"-24" range is going to be your priority.

Generally speaking, there is quite a bit of utility in the 24"-31" range, and more limited use in the lower and higher range, but your projects will dictate your preferences.

The 24" are definitely the most used in my shop. Followed by the 12" and 40". That being said, last year I picked up a pair of the really long ones. 84"? Something like that. They are heavy and cumbersome but wow am I glad I have them. They have been so handy for really large glue ups. Just like anything else, having the right tool for the job makes life much easier. The long parallel clamps are crazy expensive so this was the only way I was going to buy some. Very glad I did.

I was thinking about the massive clamps like 84" and up and all that. Would pipe clamps not be better for that length?

I bought last year with a custom narrow door in mind. There are two reasons I did not rely on my pipe clamps. One was throat depth and the other was the ability to use the squaring blocks sold with the cabinet door kits. The custom doors around here are 18" wide garage service doors of a three panel design. That one project is why I got them.