I want to trade some of my Blackwalnut...

ronnie

I live in Dallas and I've got a pretty good size chunk of 8/4 Rock Maple, 6" wide, probably 4-5' long. I get my lumber at Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie. I think the Rock maple was 4.70/bf. Purpleheart runs 4.85/bf, soft maple's about 2.80/bf, so their prices are fantastic. Last time I was there, they threw in some 8" wide soft maple because it was a bit crooked , but it works for me for some small boxes. The only problem is that there's no Saturday hours and they're only open 'til 5:00 during the week. But they have SA and Austin stores too.

I live in Dallas and I've got a pretty good size chunk of 8/4 Rock Maple, 6" wide, probably 4-5' long. I get my lumber at Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie. I think the Rock maple was 4.70/bf. Purpleheart runs 4.85/bf, soft maple's about 2.80/bf, so their prices are fantastic. Last time I was there, they threw in some 8" wide soft maple because it was a bit crooked , but it works for me for some small boxes. The only problem is that there's no Saturday hours and they're only open 'til 5:00 during the week. But they have SA and Austin stores too.

Hey Rob, how are they in comparison to Wood World or Austin Hardwoods price and selectionwise? I tend to mostly just run to Wood World since its closer to where I live and I don't generally pick up a ton, but always interested in the alternatives.

Ronnie, I live in Frisco and have some 8/4 curly maple but I'm going to be out of town until the week of Christmas.

Hey Rob, how are they in comparison to Wood World or Austin Hardwoods price and selectionwise? I tend to mostly just run to Wood World since its closer to where I live and I don't generally pick up a ton, but always interested in the alternatives.

Ronnie, I live in Frisco and have some 8/4 curly maple but I'm going to be out of town until the week of Christmas.

Exscuse me of my ignorence but I am not sure what 8/4 means.....

sorry...

Sorry it took me so long to reply I was looking for my post and could not find it on general wood working.

I guess Mark must have moved it. And that's OK. I just didn't know where it was...

But I will definitely trade some of my Blackwalnut..

The company I work for gave it to me.. Just so every one knows it has not been squared up, or plained for that matter..

But I have 8-10 foot boards and totally dried. It set up in a shed/building for over for a year and a half or so...

But they are very wide boards. Thanx.....

I've never been to Austin Hardwoods, but the prices at Brazos are about 60% of Wood World's, and the selections better. They keep big pallets of Red and White oak, maple and poplar right in front, so there's always a lot to choose from.

Sorry it takes me so long to respond, just busy working is all...

I have about 20 pieces some 10' long some 8' foot long.

And most of them are 10-12in wide. There is a few that are 6-8in in wide..

What I am looking for is some maple.. Just a few 8' boards is all, So I can make some end grain cutting boards..

But I am willing to part with more than just a few. But not to sell only to trade, for other spieces of wood..

I want a variaty of wood... Here is a picture of a walnut board I plained and urithained...

post-154-0-75854300-1292385703_thumb.jpg

If you're just looking for end grain cutting boards you'd probably not want to waste some nice curly maple on it. Regular hard maple would be stuff for ya.

That's some nice looking walnut btw, unfortunately I don't have any regular hard maple in my lumber bin at the moment. Whereabouts in Texas are you? Maple's generally pretty cheap so it may just be as easy to pop into a lumber dealer and pick up what you're looking for. Though that walnut looks pretty nice and I'd be happy to work out a trade or buy a few boards if you're not too far away.

If you're just looking for end grain cutting boards you'd probably not want to waste some nice curly maple on it. Regular hard maple would be stuff for ya.

That's some nice looking walnut btw, unfortunately I don't have any regular hard maple in my lumber bin at the moment. Whereabouts in Texas are you? Maple's generally pretty cheap so it may just be as easy to pop into a lumber dealer and pick up what you're looking for. Though that walnut looks pretty nice and I'd be happy to work out a trade or buy a few boards if you're not too far away.

i agree with mr. pants your not going to see the curly on end gain, only on perimiter so if you want curly showing you'll only need enough for your perimiter pieces. save the curly for long grain work.

i agree with mr. pants your not going to see the curly on end gain, only on perimiter so if you want curly showing you'll only need enough for your perimiter pieces. save the curly for long grain work.

Any kind of maple will do. It dont have to be curly. Just thought thats what they called it.

Thanks for the insight though.... :):):)

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    R Parekh
    Newest Member
    R Parekh