Pet's Health

dmcgarry

Recently we got a new dog. To keep the old one company and to take up guard dog duties inevitably.

Our older dog loves to be in the shop but usually over in a corner. 

The new fella (7 month old black lab) loves to be in the thick of it under any shavings or sawdust.

Recently he got an eye infection caused by a foreign body which was more then likely sawdust.

This got me thinking. There I am mask glasses ear defenders and there he is with nothing just looking up at me smiling waiting with his tail wagging which is handy because I won't have to sweep that part of the floor. 

But my question is what do you do with pets in your shop? Is dust not a big a risk to their health as it is ours likewise for their ears around loud machines?

Regards

Damien 

I would guess that they would be at the same risks but I'm not a vet I would call and ask one. One thing I have heard once or twice is that you should watch out for is gorilla glue apparently it smells like the best thing in the world to a dog and after they eat some will setup in their stomach and need to be removed via surgery. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I won't even let my dog in the shop. Dogs, based on zero research, are probably just as susceptible to everything we are.

I'm also like.. the type to have pet insurance. Cause if my dog needs a $5k surgery, she's getting it. So YMMV with your pet I figure. I treat mine like she's my kid, except better.

• Like 1

No one is going to say they love having there best friend in the shop?...Ya the dust and loud noise isn't great and I don't have a dog at this time but if the dog is trained to stay while preforming some tasks and you don't run anything loud without cotton in the dogs ears I think the dog would be much happier to be with you and he will probably die from something else besides dust..No offence to you.

I think our extended lifespans over our dogs probably open us up to more long term problems than dust would create for them.  But I'm no vet, nor did I stay at a holiday in express last night. 

My dog likes to be outside where its cold when I'm in the shop.  He doesn't appreciate warm like I do. 

• Like 1

Yeah exactly ^^^.  Dogs don't live enough years to worry about them developing respiratory diseases.  And if they do...oh well...they live 9 years instead of ten.  They're pretty much worthless that last year anyway.  Sorry, I hate dogs like Cliff hates kids.

They do get cancer though. So for all I know, they breathe in sawdust and it affects them 100x worse. I really have no idea. Either way, not risking it. 

A good dog is one of the best things a person can have. I'm not talking one of those yappy dipshit things that I despise like my annoying neighbor has. Stupid thing races back and forth across the fence growling and barking like it would kill me if only it could get through. It's smaller than my foot. 

• Like 2

my dog loves to be in the shop too, most likely you will find him sleeping next to the door, he will stay there as long as I'm not using power tools, Once I get ready to use any tools that have high decibels I will send him out side until I get done, dogs ears are more sensitive to high pitch, My dog is now on his way out with cancer, and skin problems due to cancer, He wants to be next to me all the time now, so when I'm in the shop I put a packing blanket down for him to sleep on, but he rather sleep on a pile of wood chips, My other dog will not come in the shop unless my wife sends him in to get me, 

my dog loves to be in the shop too, most likely you will find him sleeping next to the door, he will stay there as long as I'm not using power tools, Once I get ready to use any tools that have high decibels I will send him out side until I get done, dogs ears are more sensitive to high pitch, My dog is now on his way out with cancer, and skin problems due to cancer, He wants to be next to me all the time now, so when I'm in the shop I put a packing blanket down for him to sleep on, but he rather sleep on a pile of wood chips, My other dog will not come in the shop unless my wife sends him in to get me,

Well..Im glad your dog is doing better.