10" bandsaw deal

Tom King

This is the exact same saw as the current Rikon 10".  I just got one to use on a roof, and it's a decent little saw-especially for this price:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1-3-hp-3.5-amp-10inch-band-saw/p-00921400000P?sid=IDxCMDFx20140801x001&KPID=00921400000
 I did the pick up at store, but it's very well packed with thick custom fitted Styrofoam in a plastic covered box, so no shipper should damage it.

The original roof had fantail hips.  That's what I'm putting back on it.  I have a few hundred fantail hip shingles to get tapers cut on. Each one will need to be marked in place on the side to be cut. I'm planning to hold it where I want it, mark top and bottom ends of the cut, sight those marks to edge of sled, clamp with self-adjusting DeStaco's, and slide it through the little saw using the runner under the sled and table slot.

Similar to this, only better :), and not with all shingles being uniform in width:  http://www.rooftopsystemsengrs.com/interface01.htm

Edited by Tom King

The original roof had fantail hips.  That's what I'm putting back on it.  I have a few hundred fantail hip shingles to get tapers cut on. Each one will need to be marked in place on the side to be cut. I'm planning to hold it where I want it, mark top and bottom ends of the cut, sight those marks to edge of sled, clamp with self-adjusting DeStaco's, and slide it through the little saw using the runner under the sled and table slot.

Similar to this, only better :), and not with all shingles being uniform in width:  http://www.rooftopsystemsengrs.com/interface01.htm

Genius idea. For the price of that saw, you should get that back in labor cost savings half way through the job and still have the tool.

Still on that house or pick up another with fantails?

Still the same house.  The house is a museum completely furnished underneath that roof with nothing but nice antiques, so I haven't pulled a side of the roof off without VERY good weather forecast of mild weather with no severe wind for three or four days at the time.  I'd have a hard time sleeping with it under a tarp if there was a blow anywhere in sight.  Also, there is no where to stage shingles there, so we're just making enough for one roof plane at the time too.  Looks like we'll get the third side covered this week, but the hips are just under screwed down plywood until I start on them.  I do everything myself with just a couple of helpers.

• Like 2

It's been quite a project before we got into replacing the shingles.  You can see the start of the roof project on my "structural" web page.  There will be a big update to my "roofing" page as we get farther along with the shingles.  The roof planes are flat now, whereas the front had a 4" sag in it that you might be able to see in one of the pictures.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kaiweets Tool
    Newest Member
    Kaiweets Tool