DIY wood bodied hand plane question

rmartuszewski

I simply asked about wood types, and you started pointing fingers about what would is called what....

That was my point. 

It's not a tgread about correct  terminology of wood types, proper  pronunciation, or soda types and/or what to call a drink.

I have no  qualms about being corrected on what wood is what. But at no point was anyone using a wood name to make themselves look better lol. Hell I even snapped a pic of said wood to get  clarification of what was on hand. I am always open to  constructive criticism and  knowledge.  My rant (as rants seem to be the norm) was that when you post thus far in my threads you have to point fingers and act like god forbid anyone know less than you. And if they do you make a point to go beyond than a simple  explanation. And I would thin ask the question that was posted in tge first place it was  abundantly clear I know cery little when it comes to wood working. 

I also am a member of multiple forums.   One fir custom automotive painging called coastairbrush, another called 1130cc for Harley V-rods, and many more. And my outlook on those compaired to these is more offten here people tend to belittle others here. 

9 minutes ago, rmartuszewski said:

I am always open to  constructive criticism and  knowledge.

Then I don't know what your problem is.  You're so full of contradictions and baffling reverse logic that this is surely a waste of my time, and I should take my own advice I gave about you from another thread and simply ignore you.  I wish I had that strength.

Did you notice that YOUR threads seem to be the ONLY ones that end up devolving into nastiness?  What's the common denominator there?...hmmm, can't put my finger on it.

I'll try to explain one more time then give it my best effort to exit the incessant tit-for-tat you get into with everyone...

If you posted on a MLB forum and were calling runs "points" and umpires "refs," you'd be mocked and ridiculed until you ran to your mommy and wept in her arms.  Aside from the fact that this is a generally friendly place (until a troll shows up), it's not really any different here...it's a forum that's focused on a niche subject and there's a nomenclature involved that should be learned to a certain degree.

You made the comment "walnut OR dark walnut," and since I hear similar comments made on a fairly regular basis, I thought I'd point it out and clarify that there's no distinction to be made...and the comment was made for all to read and hopefully at least one person would be grateful to learn something new...the lumber world is a confusing place.  Post all the pics you want...unless one of those boards was grown in northern California or on another continent, what you have there is WALNUT.  Okay?  Dark and black and whatever else are just adjectives.

The point has been made.  Take it however you want.  If you wanna be a baby about everything I guess that's your right but you're not gonna make many friends anywhere, including here...which you haven't.  Congratulations.  I'll see ya later.

• Like 2

Again I hear you, but you fail to see the big picture. I asked a simple question. And may or may not have used wrong names for wood. And was thankful for the  exclamation of wod types and thoughts behind where they came feom. But again you missed where I said I was using a name based on anothers who prob knows more than I as he was the seller. Then I posted a pic showing what I have, and again you refrained from commenting on said pics as did anyone else to  further explain what was in pic. 

As for the commen  denominator, you seem to be in those threads right along with me. 

And my issue wasn't what was said about the wood. But rather the added BS you threw in about people trying to look smart or special. I nor was anyone else doing that. That was you projecting yourself on to others.

As for the wood. I am sitting here looking at a book that claims black walnut is real. As for where the wood in hand was cut/grown. I have no clie seeing how I wasn't there when it was cut down. 

24 minutes ago, rmartuszewski said:

As in what???  Replying to anothers post is wrong? Thiughts about your post  suggests that in replying to eric will get the Nazi like hammer down on one. Is that the case? 

What all this is boiling down to, is that for some reason you want all explaniations to fall within what you want.  There are common words used to depict something.  If you can't accept that you might be wrong, then you might want to consider another forum... This place is for those that want to learn and excel!  Move along, there's nothing here for you to see!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mds2 said:

Man, I thought we were going to have a cool homemade plane thread.  Then the internet happened.

LOL, did get some cool pics and info. Just have to skip a bunch of BS. 

6 minutes ago, RichardA said:

What all this is boiling down to, is that for some reason you want all explaniations to fall within what you want.  There are common words used to depict something.  If you can't accept that you might be wrong, then you might want to consider another forum... This place is for those that want to learn and excel!  Move along, there's nothing here for you to see!

You are right, I would want resecpt,  neutrality, and lack of  emotion in replys. Keep to the facts and  knowledge. Not pet peeves or how it makes one feel when names of wood are called something that MAYBE incorrect.

Again I am looking at The Real Wood Bible book. And see in there ALL wood types. And there is in fact a black walnut. So it is what it is.

I am a member of many of forums. And compairing thise to here. Seems to me (my POV) that some of the older crowed are salty. Makes for a hostel forum. But thank you for the insight into telling me to get lost lol. Guess you guys have all the members you need.....

Jeez...every time I think I'm out, they PULL me back in.

Respect is earned.  The only thing you've earned is a reputation as a troll and a thief.

YES...American Black Walnut...that's technically what it is.  Otherwise known as WALNUT.  There isn't walnut and dark walnut and black walnut...there's just WALNUT.  Which is what I said to begin with.  You don't need to add all the adjectives because there's no distinction to be made.  If someone is selling you claro walnut or English walnut or Peruvian walnut, you can bet your ass they're gonna make that clear because they're gonna ask for more money (which will probably send you into a seizure)...otherwise it's just WALNUT.

You're in here asking advice on something, and Eric was nice enough to clarify a point that you brought up. Now you feel the need to rant, and get on "your high horse" to in some way justify your unjust comments to one of the most respected forum members here. I can say for a fact, you will not come out ahead in this.

I'd block you, but the crap you come up with is better than anything I've seen in a while. And in this day and age, I need a good laugh. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

Well all good info, thanks guys.

Going to take a stab at making a wood plane. Going to use black walnut for the body, dark walnut for the side. And reg. walnut for the sole.  

And we're all going to pretend this thread never happened! And live happily ever after!

:rolleyes:

Untill it happens again tomorrow!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Going to take a stab at making a wood plane. Going to use black walnut for the body, dark walnut for the side. And reg. walnut for the sole.  

Huh?? I think you are talking about the same species? I guess you are kidding. Hahah

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rmartuszewski said:

This just shows you haven't been paying attention. If I got anything at all from this thread it's that you should use Hard Walnut for the sole.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2015 at 5:20 AM, Eric. said:

First things first...if you have walnut that was grown in the USA anywhere but a tiny part of the Pacific Northwest...it's just walnut.  Dark walnut, black walnut, chocolate salty walnut...whatever you feel the need to call it...it's just walnut.  There's only one species of walnut that grows in the USA 

I did not know this.  Good info.