Ellen is back

AstroDave

I thought the one with wood and metal wires was the best from a pure design perspective.  That thing just looked cool.  The bed that won looked kind of cool, but structural integrity should count for something (I mean, it is part of design and this is a design show).  The entire bed was basically a bunch of miter joints.  No way that holds up to the weight of people sleeping in it, let along the...umm...racking forces... that a bed sometimes takes.

On 1/21/2016 at 9:33 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@cstandi1, I'm just saying that design concepts need to address reality to some degree. No one can sell a bed that only fits through a garage door, and the structural integrity of the knock down joints in a bed are critical design components. The things produced in the aforementioned episode are, at best, "bed-shaped" sculptures.

Never underestimate the willingness of rich people to rip a perfectly good wall out to bring something ridiculous into their home.

• Like 1

Well there's more interesting metalworking stuff that woodworking, but I thought that was a good episode.  Sef's table was really cool though I don't know how sturdy those legs are.  The bar stools were a really nice form.  I think I would have had the concrete lounge chair at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone watch the show the other night?  Seemed like it was their first time using a table saw or something, you could hear one guy bogging one saw down then another had a real nice kick back, wouldn't be surprised if they told him to do it to make it more exciting haha.

I like that he laughed at it after the kickback. That was a serious launch, and had someone been there they'd be black and blue

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Obviously the designer / contestants need more adult supervision from their assigned 'carpenters'.

I thought the guest judge was kind of a jerk. Seemed like he felt the need to criticize every piece, to make it seem like he knew what he was doing.

I thought the ginormous sculpted "easy chair" was pretty cool. Amazing that was so well proportioned that the size was unnoticeable until someone sat in it.

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Obviously the designer / contestants need more adult supervision from their assigned 'carpenters'.

I thought the guest judge was kind of a jerk. Seemed like he felt the need to criticize every piece, to make it seem like he knew what he was doing.

I thought the ginormous sculpted "easy chair" was pretty cool. Amazing that was so well proportioned that the size was unnoticeable until someone sat in it.

I thought the guest judge was a complete @sshole. He seemed to think he was the only one who could design and build anything worth a damn. I do like Miles' style, and using white plastic sheets to kind of play of the style of using shoji paper was pretty clever. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure those Jet saws come with Riving knives... No good reason to have removed it. In general they seem to play very loose with PPE. So many shots of folks without glasses, or that guy who was using his hand to shield his eyes from the plasma cutter in one of the episodes.

Seeing the creativity is fun, and there are some really interesting pieces that come out of it.

Karim is a real eccentric in today's modern design compared to others like Philippe Starck. Arrogant as all get out...he only wears white or pink in public go figure! http://www.karimrashid.com/

The dent on the side of the motor cover from the kickback was no joke. Reminds me of some mishaps from my early college days, working in the unattended woodworking shop at 2am finishing a project with a bunch of other kids not knowing how we were to cut and build something!

13 hours ago, Autorotate said:

I liked all 4 designs today. Glad they didn't send any one home. and the guest judge was a lot nicer this week!

They should've bounced Sef right out the door. I can't stand him, took the first day not designing anything, then taking drawers out of the workshop cabinets and sizing the case dividers to fit those drawers while keeping a giant door in the middle. Total scrub!

I think this season they have contestants with a little more build experience than last year.  Last year, there were quite a few that were very clearly only "designers" and had no practical/functional understanding of how their designs on paper could (or more likely, couldn't) be made.

And I agree, Tom.  Sef should've been kicked off.  His carpenter/builder looked like he was taking a 400 level microeconomics class that first day!

12 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

They should've bounced Sef right out the door. I can't stand him, took the first day not designing anything, then taking drawers out of the workshop cabinets and sizing the case dividers to fit those drawers while keeping a giant door in the middle. Total scrub!

I agree. He wasted a day pondering then used a shop bench for drawers and still ran out of time for adjusting door hardware. He should have been let go. From a strategy point of view, the designer with the chair should be more than upset, he beat out two strong designers but the judges let both of them stay.

I didn't get to watch it but figured they wouldn't send anyone this episode, hopefully my dvr wasn't messed up because of the weather.  But yea, I'm not a fan of the Sef guy, his bed was an ugly heap of crap, missed the next episode then he made the chair for Andre the giant.  I like the welding woman and the japanese guy.