Ellen is back

AstroDave

Finally watched it, glad the woman won, she's had good stuff the whole time while Sef made a lot of crap.  His bed was quite the upgrade to his first one but i did rewind and couldn't believe you could see the plywood edge.  Also i dunno, but every time i see Sef's face, i just want to punch him in the face.

I've seen exposed plywood edges in modern furniture for close to 40 years . To discern between art and crap look and see if the edge is more like Baltic or everyday big box questionable sheets.

If you are going to expose the edge of ply and pass it off as art it damn well should be clean and damn near perfect !

• Like 1

On 3/8/2016 at 1:50 PM, nerdbot said:

Neither of their stuff is my style - as they've said in the show, a lot of their pieces are very sculptural.  I hardly have photos hanging in my house, let alone furniture pieces that are works of art.  The one designer's furniture I really liked was the lady in the very first episode, the one who was into horses I believe.  But I guess that was too "normal" for a show like this.

Sef's bed wasn't great, but leaps and bounds better than his first bed.  One thing I was curious about when I saw the initial design, was how he was going to transition in the corners.  There was a quick shot where it looked like they were using bondo in the corner (or some other filler, but it looked pink to me), so I assumed they then shaped it to make a smoother transition.  What I don't get is how they hid the bondo and made it look like wood again?

Regarding the bondo turning into nice wood... I noticed that too. My assumption was that he veneered over it all, but because of the bondo, it became one big piece. He must have used spray adhesive for the veneer (I don't think they had a  vacuum system was THAT big). They glossed over that point like many of the finishing touches. It's much more dramatic to show them running around as they show the clock counting the final seconds!