Epoxy inlay table questions

byegge

Hi there, I'm about to start a table about 36" round with some epoxy inlays and have a few questions. How deep do I need to route out for the epoxy, 1/8 in or is that not enough. Also was thinking about staining the wood because it's basically made from different scraps from the shop. Should I sand of the epoxy flat then stain. Will the epoxy take the stain color. Also what kind of epoxy should I get and dye as well. Thank you in advance. 

What inlay material are you using? Just filling with epoxy, or using epoxy as adhesive for other materials?

For epoxy fills, 1/8" is probably good, assuming the surface is already at final dimension. Google 'inlace' to source a reliable filler for whatever color you want.

If using epoxy as adhesive for other inlay materials, its a good idea to add some color that blends with the background material to disguise any gaps.

A card sraper is your friend.

Cured epoxy should not absorb wood stain.

59 minutes ago, byegge said:

Hi there, I'm about to start a table about 36" round with some epoxy inlays and have a few questions. How deep do I need to route out for the epoxy, 1/8 in or is that not enough. Also was thinking about staining the wood because it's basically made from different scraps from the shop. Should I sand of the epoxy flat then stain. Will the epoxy take the stain color. Also what kind of epoxy should I get and dye as well. Thank you in advance. 

If you're going to stain, suggest a coat of shellac first to prevent blotching and doing it before epoxy.  The epoxy will not take the stain.

1/8 is deep enough if that's all you want.  

I like West Systems epoxy.  A bit more expensive but, it works well.

I'm assuming that you'll want stain in the bottoms of your inlays?

When you put the epoxy in, be sure the piece is completely level and don't over fill by much.  A belt sander would not be my first choice for leveling the dried epoxy.  A card scraper would leave a cleaner surface where the belt sander could leave some deep scratches as well as mar up all the adjacent areas,

I just did this the week before Christmas. It turned out awesome!!!

Here is my advice (assuming you are just filling with epoxy):

⅛" is deep enough if your table is already to its final thickness.

West System Epoxy is awesome but expensive. I used Art Resin on mine because it is made for Art so it comes out extremely clear and is food safe. I used mine on a pizza peel.

If you want to tint use Transtint liquid dye.

Level your epoxy with a card or cabinet scrapper then sand with a ROS up to 240 or 320

Stain after you apply epoxy and level or you will screw up your stain and cured epoxy won't absorb stain