wood rack deal!

Tom King

Dang $20, thought I got a deal paying $30-35.  I've got two in my garage, work pretty well.  Could pick up one and add a center support to the two I got.

1 minute ago, bushwacked said:

Are these quality and hold up over time?

I was thinking of doing the 2x4 method but this price is pretty solid

I have two, one is like 2 years old, has held up fine(knock on wood). One problem is that if you want to sticker the wood on the rack, then you won't be getting a ton of wood on there.

Thanks, definitely a great deal! I've got 2 mounted side by side in the garage full of 8-10' pieces. I've been needing something like an extra large pipe cart for moving material....2-4 of these mounted to a wood A frame on casters might be handy and save a bit of $$ and work

BTW for anyone shopping at Lowes or anywhere for that matter check out this gift card website. I am in no way connected with them just sharing. Right now Lowes cards are 9% off which adds up quick. The first 1-2 transactions were a bit slow but once my account was setup they are delivered within 5-30min normally. I've been using it for months. 

www.raise.com

I have a number of these for my shed.  At $20 it's a great deal.  At $60 it's a screw job.

I wish they came with more vertical supports and fewer brackets.  The last two sets I bought I'll be using the four vertical supports and throwing away at least half the brackets...they take up too much space.

14 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have a number of these for my shed.  At $20 it's a great deal.  At $60 it's a screw job.

I wish they came with more vertical supports and fewer brackets.  The last two sets I bought I'll be using the four vertical supports and throwing away at least half the brackets...they take up too much space.

So you could use say four or five to get better spacing? 

On 12/31/2015 at 2:06 PM, bushwacked said:

Are these quality and hold up over time?

I was thinking of doing the 2x4 method but this price is pretty solid

I have multiple sets and they work great. Prior to buying them I had home built racks made from 2x4s, but these are much more space efficient because the support arms are thinner than what you can make with wood

_20160101_173507.JPG

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Why dont you just buy some 1"x1" steel tubing from the steel yard and make more vertical supports?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Wright said:

Why dont you just buy some 1"x1" steel tubing from the steel yard and make more vertical supports?

Yeah I could.  I could also buy everything I need to build the whole thing from scratch.  My point is it would be a better product if they included four verticals per set and a couple less horizontal brackets.

The weak link is the lack of verticals.  You could stack more boards on fewer horizontals but only the two verticals makes me nervous under a full load.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Yeah I could.  I could also buy everything I need to build the whole thing from scratch.  My point is it would be a better product if they included four verticals per set and a couple less horizontal brackets.

The weak link is the lack of verticals.  You could stack more boards on fewer horizontals but only the two verticals makes me nervous under a full load.

I do agree that a "pair" of brackets is not really suitable for loading up with lumber. I spaced mine at 30" and used plenty of verticals

By the way, I found them in the utility shelving aisle.  Not surprising, but I made the mistake of asking and got sent down to lumber at the other end of the store.  Other than that, I found the staff available and helpful.  The guy who mis-directed me came and found me, walked with me to the correct aisle, and made sure I found what I was looking for.

15 hours ago, Beechwood Chip said:

By the way, I found them in the utility shelving aisle.  Not surprising, but I made the mistake of asking and got sent down to lumber at the other end of the store.  Other than that, I found the staff available and helpful.  The guy who mis-directed me came and found me, walked with me to the correct aisle, and made sure I found what I was looking for.

That's nice. I didn't even know Lowes stocked them in store. I thought they would have to be delivered, but they were ready in an hour. This explains why I have never seen them there though.