They heard Eric loud and clear

Chet

Bah. I replaced all three bearings and popped the motor back in it today, have everything all set up, took about 3 hours of total work - spread out over 3 weeks due to random factors :D (Random factors include bearing shipping time, "oh crap why is it that every tool I need is the one I can't find," "It's too cold, no way.")

That being said the shaft is getting worn on it. The hand me down jointer won't last forever. Though I suppose I could just buy a different motor when the old one goes. 

I think for the price it's still a pretty good jointer. Perfect for a noobcake, or even an intermediate. 

• Like 1

That is why I was on their site I was looking at the jointers.  I have had a Grizzly 6 inch for 26 years now, never had a problem with it but I do need to get in to the 8 inch capacity.  I would really like to get something nice but I don't know how long it would take to come up with 3K.  

I sent Grizzly an email about the discontinued jointers, and received this in response: The new model numbers are G0656W, G0656XW, G0490W and G0490XW and will be included in our 2016 Grizzly catalog.  We are in the process of updating our website with this information.  Although we do not have this model available for shipping yet you will be able to place orders Jan 4th.

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

Bah. I replaced all three bearings and popped the motor back in it today, have everything all set up, took about 3 hours of total work - spread out over 3 weeks due to random factors :D (Random factors include bearing shipping time, "oh crap why is it that every tool I need is the one I can't find," "It's too cold, no way.")

That being said the shaft is getting worn on it. The hand me down jointer won't last forever. Though I suppose I could just buy a different motor when the old one goes. 

I think for the price it's still a pretty good jointer. Perfect for a noobcake, or even an intermediate. 

Cliff, out of curiosity, did the guys at the motor shop say how many of the three were bad?

We took only the motor in, and they said the bearing needed replacing and the shaft was getting worn. The cutterhead bearings we replaced ourselves. My stepdad felt like when he turned it there was something a bit off with the one on the pulley side. We figured we'd replace all three anyway just because we had it apart, so why not?

To be sure, without someone who knows what they are doing, it would have taken me FOREVER. And I only cut my hand open once on the cutterhead, so I'm counting the entire mission as a success. It purrs real nice now. I hope I can get another 5 years out of it :D

I did think it was a bit silly to adjust the belt tension. I don't know if all jointers are that way or not. And disconnecting/reconnecting the wiring inside the box on the motor - that was not something I would ever want to do. They should have modular plugs or something like a computer, but maybe there is a reason it can't happen.

• Like 1

We took only the motor in, and they said the bearing needed replacing and the shaft was getting worn. The cutterhead bearings we replaced ourselves. My stepdad felt like when he turned it there was something a bit off with the one on the pulley side. We figured we'd replace all three anyway just because we had it apart, so why not?

To be sure, without someone who knows what they are doing, it would have taken me FOREVER. And I only cut my hand open once on the cutterhead, so I'm counting the entire mission as a success. It purrs real nice now. I hope I can get another 5 years out of it

I did think it was a bit silly to adjust the belt tension. I don't know if all jointers are that way or not. And disconnecting/reconnecting the wiring inside the box on the motor - that was not something I would ever want to do. They should have modular plugs or something like a computer, but maybe there is a reason it can't happen.

The reason it's wired directly is because the amperage being pulled through those wires generates heat, and Molex or solderless connectors don't do well with heat, and going with heavy duty connectors is more expensive.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is why I was on their site I was looking at the jointers.  I have had a Grizzly 6 inch for 26 years now, never had a problem with it but I do need to get in to the 8 inch capacity.  I would really like to get something nice but I don't know how long it would take to come up with 3K.  

I'm planning next year to get an 8in jointer but considering passing on the Parallelogram beds, that cuts the price down to about $2k. There might be a thread in this forum somewhere about the difference between dovetail and parallel but based upon what little I have read, both are good with main difference ease of adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking back my words temporarily. I'm ordering new pulley, set screw and key. It's possible the shaft is worn enough that I'm replacing the motor on Eric's jointer. I won't know til we install the new pulley, which is at least a couple of weeks because it's going to get pretty cold soon and I'm heatless in the shop. 

If worst comes to worst and I spend $300ish on a new motor.. my total cost is still around $900. Not terrible but the deal would be worse than it is now :D

37 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Taking back my words temporarily. I'm ordering new pulley, set screw and key. It's possible the shaft is worn enough that I'm replacing the motor on Eric's jointer. I won't know til we install the new pulley, which is at least a couple of weeks because it's going to get pretty cold soon and I'm heatless in the shop. 

Why don't you just mic the shaft and compare to inside pulley? 

I don't know what are talking about. I'm relying on advice of people that have a lot more knowledge than me. We already took the motor in to guys that replaced the bearings on it and told me the shaft was on it's way out, so I know eventually the motor gets replaced anyway, as the cost to rebuild (right term?) is not worth it. The pulley is made from aluminum, which isn't the hardest material ever, so it could be janky. For $20.99 to replace the pulley, key, set screw, I don't mind trial and error on this.

Honestly - if I wasn't saving for the JDP-17, I'd just replace the motor period. I think it's not a great motor and replacing it will only improve my situation.

• Like 1

Very true, I hadn't kept up on exactly what was up with that jointer. I guess checking the runout with a dial indicator would also be informative. 

Cliff, did you ask them what they were seeing that said the shaft was "on its way out"

How the shaft is failing could give insight as to the core issue.