Lego Table Project

Keggers

I've been asked to build a lego table for my granddaughter's birthday. Building the table is pretty straight forward. My plan is to attach the lego plates to a piece of 1/2" mdf. Each plate is 10" x 10" and there will be nine plates in total. I was thinking that I'd use epoxy to attach the plates to the mdf. Does anyone see a problem with my thinking? Is there a better adhesive to use on the plates? The table will be made from ash with a clear finish and the plates will be green. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the top flush with the aprons or have it stand proud.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have some carpet tape. It certainly is strong enough to hold the plates. I think that's a great idea.

As far as what to do with the table when she outgrows it - I guess it will pass to either my grandson or my other granddaughter when she gets old enough. I see many years of use!

15 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

Will you be posting pics of the table when it's done?  I may build something like this in the future when my kid gets a little older, so I'd love to see it for some inspiration. 

I'll sure try to remember to do that for you.

54 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Helluva an idea. Kent, put a yellow sticky note on your whatever to remember to post pics so we don't have to remind you. I see one in the future for my 3 yo son?

Matt, neat job, stretch marks or not! They're to be expected!

I'll sure try, Ken.

Thanks for posting those pictures Matt. They gave me some ideas.

I think it would be more fun to make a Lego table out of Legos! :D

Kidding aside, after building a Thomas train table / Lego table for my boys a few years back. I listed a few changes I would make if I were to do it again. Mostly design and use not so much construction...

1. Adding a tall lip above the table surface, I had 1" but a taller lip would be better.

2. Don't use a chip board like it did, it was nice and smooth at first but warped after spilled drinks, foods etc. then it started to peel/blister.

3. I wish I added a removable top that slide underneath or just set aside. Any legos could be left on the table with a nice top set over the creations for later play. This top will also hide the clutter of Legos or if new toys were to be played on the same table. Possibly the back side of this top could be painted as street, land, etc.

4. Side wells for holding legos

4. Round the hell out of the corners! The table will be used as diving board, race car, fort, etc.

• Like 1

I finally got the 10" x 10" lego plates in the mail yesterday. I was thinking that I need to paint the mdf with an exterior paint to

protect against accidental spills. I'm guessing that the carpet tape that I'll be using to attach the plates to the painted mdf will still work. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great!  Definitely going to build one of these when my son is Lego age.  Actually, maybe I should build it sooner...there's a really awesome Lego version of the Frank Llyod Wright Fallingwater house...there's nothing wrong with adults playing with Legos, right...

• Like 1