Dog hole spacing

Chet

I should add, since you said tail vise, usually the tail vise has more than one hole and they are spaced differently than the holes in the bench.  So if your bench holes were 6" apart and you had two holes in the tail at 3" apart you'd never have to move the vise more than 3".

14 hours ago, krtwood said:

I should add, since you said tail vise, usually the tail vise has more than one hole and they are spaced differently than the holes in the bench.  So if your bench holes were 6" apart and you had two holes in the tail at 3" apart you'd never have to move the vise more than 3".

Actually, you'd never have to move the vice more than 1.5"  If you had to move the vice 3", then just use the other hole on the vice and the next dog hole and you are spot on. 

[edit: 4.5" spacing gives a max move of 0.75"]

On 2016-01-14 at 6:36 PM, SawDustB said:

How do you like it? I'm considering that as an option for my bench build. Was it easy to install?

I really like mine - easy to install - just rout the correct shaped mortise in the bench-top and screw it down.

It has about 4" of travel and two holes ... so my dog holes spaced 6" apart work fine. It does occasionally clog up with chips but it's easy enough to clear. I'm a fan of the low-profile insert for planing thin stock. It's all aluminium so it won't totally ruin a cutting edge if you accidentally nick it.