One Saw to Rule Them All

Lee Bussy

I've been leaning towards eventually doing some hand joinery as my introduction to "better woodworking."  I've been giving saws a look and oh my are some of them expensive!   Is there *a* saw I can get that will last me long enough to learn and figure out if I want others?  I read somewhere in a tutorial on dovetail (no idea where that went) to get a Dozuki saw?  Here's a not expensive one:

711KUlCf7pL._SL1000_.jpg

Dozuki "Z" Dovetail Saw - $25.10

I have not done this type of joinery on power tools either, but I figure I should know how to do them by hand before worrying about what thousand dollar jig to buy.

I guess it's what you get used to.  I have one that looks a lot like that.  I'm deadly accurate with a saw that cuts the other way, but have trouble coming back towards me without having to fine tune it with a file afterwards.  I use the cheap Irwin, made in England Japanese pull saw, and even for some accurate cuts because I can flex it-for instance an inside shoulder that won't be seen, I'll cut it as a slight curve, but not for cutting dovetails.

I have that saw exactly, the "Z" saw. It's great for dovetails.

As a general purpose saw I don't recommend it because if you don't handle it with care, if will start losing teeth (they just disappear). That happened to me in more than one opportunity. 

So use it for small cuts only or handle with care. YMMV.

I even made a case for my saw when I was using it for everything:

2015-10-04_14.20.06.thumb.jpg.65abb094c7

40 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I guess it's what you get used to.  I have one that looks a lot like that.  I'm deadly accurate with a saw that cuts the other way, but have trouble coming back towards me without having to fine tune it with a file afterwards.  I use the cheap Irwin, made in England Japanese pull saw, and even for some accurate cuts because I can flex it-for instance an inside shoulder that won't be seen, I'll cut it as a slight curve, but not for cutting dovetails.

Since I don't have any skill built up, I guess push or pull is just a direction right now.  

Which Irwin?  I see a lot of them out there.

28 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I have that saw exactly, the "Z" saw. It's great for dovetails.

As a general purpose saw I don't recommend it because if you don't handle it with care, if will start losing teeth (they just disappear). That happened to me in more than one opportunity. 

So use it for small cuts only or handle with care. YMMV.

I even made a case for my saw when I was using it for everything:

Sexah case!

For the price, I can afford to have it eat teeth, although treating a tool with respect is something I try to do.  Apparently you can buy replacement blades for those, although they look to be as expensive as the whole saw.

So no tenons for instance, or just nothing but joinery?

18 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

You can use it for tenons, no problem at all.

I used it for crosscutting 2x4 material... to do so you have to work the saw with both hands, changing sides  That's when you need the extra care, don't get yourself all ninja like a I did...

Ah ... yeah I can't see me wanting to cut anything that large with a small saw.  I have a chop saw for 2x4's. :)

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I have several saws too... but this one... you will see. It just cuts wood like butter. And the ergonomics are great. Those two reasons made me want to use it for everything. But when the cut goes too deep, and since the kerf is very thin, you have to watch your angle and let the saw do its work.

Is the ergo on this one the same as these?  I've found Crown to be a pretty good inexpensive brand (so far) as well:

61srhG22qrL._SL1500_.jpg

12 hours ago, Immortan D said:

The handle of the Z saw is 10.5" long, so it can be used with both hands at the same time if you want. That Crown saw is a western saw, short handle, different concept.

Gotcha, thanks.

53 minutes ago, ColinF said:

You could always go with the veritas dovetail saw, it's $59, and has the traditional pistol grip handle if you're concerned about the ergonomics of the dozuki saw. 

I'm not concerned really.  If the Dozuki is "good" then I wondered if a saw with a similar setup was also potentially good.  Now I understand the difference.

5 hours ago, wareaglewoodworker said:

Allan Little has a good breakdown of Japanese saws. http://askwoodman.com/2010/11/25/best-japanese-hand-saws/

It has some good information on the types and uses.

Thank you, that will be helpful.

I should have picked up that saw for $26 when I had the chance.  $9 more now.  I bought it anyway.