Harbor Freight DC to cyclone

Just Bob

Using an Oneida super dust deputy  a trash can and 5" Nordfab ducting from Grizzly, I converted my 8 yr old dc into a cyclone.  I had 4 reasons to do this.

1.  I was really tired of tripping over flex tubing while trying to navigate my narrow shop.

2.  Eliminate the DC from the work flow, depending the tool it was hooked up to I had walk around the shop to get to the other side.

3. No more bags!  In recent months I have had 2 bag blow outs and before I realized it had happened that area of the shop was covered in saw dust.

4. Maybe increase the DC's efficiency, last on the list because it's a Harbor Freight DC after all.

The first 3 are complete and I am really pleased.  The last one, who knows...

There are only 3 drops and the fines are exhausted outside. The drum sander and planer share 1 wall drop and the jointer and band saw share the other.  The ceiling drop is dedicated to the table saw. 

hf.thumb.JPG.94efac3f06f5b7495294237d0b6DSC_0251.JPG.1d6bfb8da48fd09850ecb54336bDSC_0250.JPG.3652f064a86f592f5ed0433d70f 

I too am planning on doing something similar soon. I have a metal Super Dust Deputy that I bought a couple of years ago, but haven't implemented yet. How good of a job does it do separating the fines from the courser stuff? Do you get a cloud of dust out the outside vent?

By the way, I have a Seco (Taiwanese) 2HP dust collector connected to 4" ABS (the black stuff) and using standard ABS fittings. It runs around the wall along the floor behind everything and works really well. My longest run is about 25 feet of pipe and 10 feet of hose, and I don't lack for suction on any tool. Your Nordfab duct looks gorgeous!

44 minutes ago, Robby W said:

I too am planning on doing something similar soon. I have a metal Super Dust Deputy that I bought a couple of years ago, but haven't implemented yet. How good of a job does it do separating the fines from the courser stuff? Do you get a cloud of dust out the outside vent?

By the way, I have a Seco (Taiwanese) 2HP dust collector connected to 4" ABS (the black stuff) and using standard ABS fittings. It runs around the wall along the floor behind everything and works really well. My longest run is about 25 feet of pipe and 10 feet of hose, and I don't lack for suction on any tool. Your Nordfab duct looks gorgeous!

I finished this last night and did not do any testing.  So I just went out and dumped a large pile of very fine sawdust into my table saw and pushed it all up to the port.  There was a very brief (maybe 2 seconds) where I could see a very light cloud of dust and then it stopped.  Not very scientific but it made me happy.  If I had neighbors I would have no problem running this, although if I liked my neighbors, which I usually don't, I would probably put some sort of deflector to knock down any dust.

Thanks for the compliment, I had pvc ducting in my last shop and hated the look, I think this ducting looks great and that (almost) made it worth the expense.  For me it was a lot easier to install than pvc, and that did make it worth the cost.

• Like 1

That is good to know. I am thinking about relocating my DC outside, although my wife is less then thrilled with the idea of me drilling a hole in the wall. I could reclaim the floor space and more important to me, the wall space. It would really open things up.

• 3 months later...

Just adding a few pictures so I don't hijack @Brian Endres shop thread.

I sealed the bottom to wall seam of the can with silicone calk and then sealed all of the seams and small holes with epoxy.  I made a ply slip ring to fit under the can's rim.  Installed some T-nuts,  epoxied the rim to the can and put 2 layers of weather strip around the rim.

ring.JPG

Made a lid with a groove to fit over the can and spread some silicone calk in groove for the seal, and attached to lid with some shop made bolts.

lid.JPG lidattached.JPG

Then I just cut the hole for the dust deputy and sealed the connection with calk.

I pulled the impeller and housing then rotated the impeller housing on the motor so it would exhaust straight outside without any 90's.

impellor.JPG

Put everything back together and hung the motor on the wall.  I used the mounts on the impeller housing to attach 2 guy wires to ceiling joists for added support.

I used a conduit bender to bend 2 of the support legs that came with the DC to hang the lid/cyclone to the wall and let the can drop about an inch to make it easier to empty. I added a sight glass to the lid as an after thought when I realized I had no way of telling how much sawdust was in the can.

sitegl.JPG

impellor.JPG

Thats awesome that you made the upgrade, but wow, Norfab ducting?! That stuff is super expensive! Now youre ducting is worth more than your dust collector?! When are you going to upgrade the dust collector? Maybe a V-3000 or there abouts is in your future plans?

7 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Thats awesome that you made the upgrade, but wow, Norfab ducting?! That stuff is super expensive! Now youre ducting is worth more than your dust collector?! When are you going to upgrade the dust collector? Maybe a V-3000 or there abouts is in your future plans?

When I built the shop that corner was reserved for a 3+ hp unit, including a dedicated 30 amp circuit. I will upgrade eventually.

Thanks as well @Just Bob Sunday when HF does their mother's day sale I'm going to buy the 2hp DC. I Also just picked up a steel drum from a co-worker to use as a container for a chip separator.

I was really confused when i saw HF was doing a mother's day sale. Who is going to buy anything form there for their mom? I'm pretty sure my mom would look upon me with scorn if i did that.

27 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks as well @Just Bob Sunday when HF does their mother's day sale I'm going to buy the 2hp DC. I Also just picked up a steel drum from a co-worker to use as a container for a chip separator.

I was really confused when i saw HF was doing a mother's day sale. Who is going to buy anything form there for their mom? I'm pretty sure my mom would look upon me with scorn if i did that.

How big is the drum? My guess is you'll want to line it with a contractor bag and weigh the bag down. I've emptied my 55-gallon fiber barrel 3 times and each time it was a complete cluster-F@#, so this time I did the bag inside. So far so good.