Lee Valley square

Cliff

My wife asked me to tell her what I want for my birthday. I sent her an email. She lost it. So I quickly hit Lee Valley and grabbed what I thought was the right url - 

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32587&cat=1,42936,42944

Unfortunately, I meant to tell her this one  - 

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=69595&cat=1,42936

It's the carpenter's vs precision. My biggest concern is precision.  Should I return and get the precision? Anyone know if the tolerances are similar? The precision is actually cheaper. 

I can't speak to the accuracy of these two.  I do have a carpenters square that is 60-70 years old and the registrations are real accurate and I have used it on some large stuff at times but as Ross said it is unwieldy for most of woodworking tasks

I have a woodpecker T-square (actually a couple) and love using those.  One disadvantage I see about the lee valley square is it has no lip so it will take longer to make sure the base is registered completely flat against the stock.  The T-squares also have holes that let you scribe a line.  But it is more expensive.

24" model

They also have a 32" and 12"

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The carpenter's framing square has a lot of useful features, and appears to be very accurate, but it is twice as large. I feel it would be unwieldy for most furniture projects.

I think you are right, especially considering what I want to use it for (jig building)

2 hours ago, jussi said:

I have a woodpecker T-square (actually a couple) and love using those.  One disadvantage I see about the lee valley square is it has no lip so it will take longer to make sure the base is registered completely flat against the stock.  The T-squares also have holes that let you scribe a line.  But it is more expensive.

24" model

They also have a 32" and 12"

Those are my list to get, but they are not useful for what  I need a square for. Specifically I'm going to use HHH's method for building a crosscut sled as I have a ton of issues getting marks to work. I don't have the awesome Woodpecker one time squares and I'm guessing they won't make any in the next 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I have a Japanese made stainless framing square that looks just like the one in the link. It is pretty accurate but didn't stay that way too long. 

Years later I found out about the WoodPeckers framing square. Got on the waiting list for the next batch of them to be made and almost 2 years later I got one ! I keep it in a holster I built for it and am very careful about dropping it or knocking it off a table. Works wonders for squaring up equipment and large projects.

The smaller Veritas square may be the best choice for you right now.

I think you are right. I'm on the list for the WoodPecker stuff. It's exactly what I want. So I'll probably send back this carpenter's square and get the precision.

36 minutes ago, Pug said:

I have two Lee Valley squares and a starette.  By far i use this one the most

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44279&cat=1,42936,42945,44279

I do have a Starrett square, 12". It's great, but I need 2 long reference edges for my immediate need - which is a new crosscut sled. 

Oh I didn't realize you wanted it for machine setup. In that case I suggest this.  Guys on fog love it.  I already have the woodpecker 26" square so I didn't get one but have seen them in person (store is close to me) and they are very well made and it's really hard to beat the price.  I've heard shipping fees might be kind of high though  

http://www.andersonplywood.com/square-for-festool-mft-square/