Installing Paneling Over Studs?

C Nelson

I intend to install some inexpensive paneling in my dry basement. It is in an area I use for my workshop so I'm not real fussy about how it will look. My primary objective si to cover the studs and insulation.

My intention is to install the paneling directly over the studs and nail or glue them. But I've read information online that unless the paneling is over ¼" it should be installed over sheetrock. I have no intention of also installing sheet rock.

Why the requirement for sheetrock? Does it have something to do with buckling? Is there anything I can do to mitigate that? Is there a difference between cheap 4x8 ($12/each) paneling and more expensive ($20/each) paneling in terms of buckling?

I remember my dad doing this years back in the basement and like you he was just trying to cover the studs, nothing fancy.  The only thing I recall was a slight waviness to the paneling when you looked down the wall because of a lack of support for the paneling between the studs.  It didn't look bad, it just didn't look perfect.  you might even have better luck because you should get some support from the insulation if it is thick enough, the walls my dad did where interior and not insulated.

I think you will be fine.

The thing that will cut down on the buckling or waviness is the thickness of the paneling not the cost.

• Like 1

no matter what you do put up you will need to put a moisture barrier, even the most dry basement will have moisture, The price from cheap panel and sheet rock is minimal, rock will be just as easy if not easier, since you not worry about looks,  I was a photographer in a studio for a long time and all our sets were built with 1/4" Luan plywood very durable, also sub flooring will have a built in barrier,

I'd guess the insulation would be fiberglass batts and not very flammable.  I'm also guessing the minimum suggested thickness would be due to wavyness in the finished product.

My house has about 1/8-3/16" paneling on the walls in the bedrooms, you can tell there is no gyp. bd. behind it as it flexes pretty easy.  If you are just looking to cover the insulation I think it would be fine to use the cheap stuff.  If you ever want to hang heavy stuff find a stud, easy because the walls flex. 

• Like 1

Fiberglass bats...not very flammable...here it requires fire taped drywall between fiberglass and ignition sources. I know electrical boxes often have holes in them, but for some reason they want a true barrier over fiberglass. I would guess that is because it behaves in some unbeneficial way. 

My entire shop is covered in 3/4" OSB including the ceiling.  And I didn't even bother to paint it!

I like it because you can drive a nail or a screw in it and then if you remove the nail, you can hardly see the hole. It is there but the real evidence is the lighter color where the shelf or cabinet was.

IMO, the only way to fly for a shop where things get moved around from time to time.

Rog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I'd guess the insulation would be fiberglass batts and not very flammable. 

2 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Fiberglass bats...not very flammable...here it requires fire taped drywall between fiberglass and ignition sources. I know electrical boxes often have holes in them, but for some reason they want a true barrier over fiberglass. I would guess that is because it behaves in some unbeneficial way. 

34 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

The recommendation for installing thin panel over drywall may be related to fire codes. Where I live, I would have to cover the wall between my garage and house with 1/2" or thicker drywall as a fire barrier, no matter what the final covering is.

Yes. The fiberglass itself is not flammable but the vapor barrier is will go up instantly.

I still fail to see how adding only a thin layer of plywood will make him less safe... 

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The recommendation for installing thin panel over drywall may be related to fire codes. Where I live, I would have to cover the wall between my garage and house with 1/2" or thicker drywall as a fire barrier, no matter what the final covering is.

That is in a garage, where presumably combustibles will be stored.  There is also generally a requirement to add additional fireproofing anytime the garage walls are supporting living space above.  Usually 2 layers of rock.

You also have to raise a gas water heater 18" off of the ground in a garage to, but it doesn't mean you have to elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

I still fail to see how adding only a thin layer of plywood will make him less safe... 

That is in a garage, where presumably combustibles will be stored.  There is also generally a requirement to add additional fireproofing anytime the garage walls are supporting living space above.  Usually 2 layers of rock.

You also have to raise a gas water heater 18" off of the ground in a garage to, but it doesn't mean you have to elsewhere. 

You are up against local codes. Here, the water heater must be up in a basement as well since they can flood with a burst pipe. You are better off not improving the space rather than bucking code and having your insurance fail to pay a claim. 

Drywall is so cheap if you are going to cover it and not need it as a show surface. The T-111 is not a bad route but it tends to smell forever. Just thoughts. 

I don't think you want to put up a moisture barrier. You want the walls to breath outward. If you trap any moisture behind the barrier it will breath upward to your joists and rot them out and/or create a place for mold to grow.

http://m.finehomebuilding.com/design/departments/engert-smart-details/basement-insulation-retrofits.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. I am the originator of this thread.

I did speak to my building inspector and I do not need to install sheetrock or a vapor barrier over my studs (that already have insulation tucked in between). 

So at this stage I am trying to decide what to install. I'm scared off by the prospect of the thin paneling buckling or curling. I'm surprised to hear that it would do that. I wonder if I nailed the paneling every 16" on the studs whether it would still buckle?

I did see some a few other options at my home center today. Any comments on the plusses and minuses of these?

• ¼" medium density fiberboard
  • ¼" hardboard with white laminate
  • ¼" birch plywood (a little pricey)

Any 1/4" material will struggle to stay flat on the wall without some additional support behind it.  Most of what they are selling as 1/4" is even thinner than advertised.  Even R13 insulation in a  2 x 4 stud pocket will need some force on the interior sheeting to get it to lay flat on the studs.  1/4" material may make that more difficult.