JosephThomas

Estate sale jointer

Should I grab it for 200? I have a working grizzly 6" so it's a marginal upgrade, plus the work to clean it up...

It's the 054 model, with the normal size beds.

qenLTX8.png

yGlEAP6.png

Rust doesn't scare me, machined surfaces do that quickly. How rusty is the cutter head? Can you listen to it run? $200 seems low. 

Cutter head has some rust too, not caked on, but enough that I'd have to pull it out and clean it up, I think.  I could probably turn it on, but I'd have to move a few other machines out of the way first...I told them I'd think about it and come back tomorrow if it's still there.

It's hiding wayyyy in the back of a hidden room sort of. I was the only one not lazy enough to crawl back in there I guess...there are a few big tools in front of it marked "not for sale" as well, so at first I figured it wasn't for sale either, but I asked of course.

It's the same length beds as my current jointer.  I'm just worried it'll become another project that distracts me from woodworking if I pick it up and it needs more than just a little work...

With the tool market resale around us, id buy it and flip sell your existing machine if the new pm is in good working shape.  The old craftsman 3 foot belt drive joiners go for $200..

A new 6" powermatic is pretty expensive.  If you cleaned it up, and didnt want it, its an easy resell at profit.  I just bought a new PM jointer, and I would buy that one too if it were here.