Bad day in the shop..

miranthis

Did NOT lose any fingers or shed any blood, but it was a crap day in the shop. :-)  Nothing worked like I planned.  Measurements were just not working out.  Set ups were terrible.  Router bits were dull.  Crosscut sled is no longer flat.  Found a wobble in my favorite table saw blade.  

I had been itching to get in the shop for the last month, and finally got out.  All I had to do was make a simple shop cabinet to hang above the shop sink.  I finally got the sides and 4 shelves cut, along with the dados for the shelves.   Looks like complete crap, but it will work.  Just one of those days, so I just gave up and will try it fresh tomorrow.  :-)  Ugh....

Jeff in KC

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Was it plugged in ? Breaker tripped ? 

Hopefully is just a switch or starting capacitor .

Yup plugged in. At first it went real slow. We reset the breakers, plugged it back in and it's just nothing. The lights come on when you press the button. Going to do some testing next and see if we can narrow down the issue. I was expecting a possible motor replacement on this thing since I bought it from Eric, so it's not a big deal if it happens. Just a bummer though!

Just so you know your not the only one i was helping a friend remodel his bathroom. We laid the valve out so that up was up and down was down. cut all the pipe got everything laid out perfect cut the holes in the shower surround. Every thing was installed Sheetrock up, turned the handle ... no water. Somewhere the valve got rotated 90 degrees and we had to go in through the wall behind the shower to rotate the damn thing. Then the holes in the surround were off.

4 hours ago, bradpotts said:

Those are the bests days to just clean the shop up

Couldn't agree more. If things aren't going my way, and I get frustrated,  I stop. The military mindset of push through it and ego of getting my butt whipped by a few 16ths of an inch suck by I'm not willing to end my hand model career at worst, or screw finish something in going to despise at best.  

I hate to rub this in, but I had a great day in the shop. Made a drawer for a chess table.  Cut the best half blind dovetails I have ever made.  The drawer was the last thing I needed to complete.  A little more scraping and sanding, should get the 1st coat of finish on it tomorrow. 

Sorry about your poor results today ... yep, good day to just do some cleaning.

dw

I can sympathize. I recently had to declare that a project I was working on was needed to be scrapped and started over from zero because nothing was staying flat or square.

On the bright side, the remnants of the six board chest have been re-purposed, as it is the perfect size to hold scrap wood. If it were 2" shorter I could have turned it into a shoe rack for the front hallway, but that is not to be.

12 hours ago, Cliff said:

Yup plugged in. At first it went real slow.....

Cliff - on most single phase motors, the is a centrifugal starting switch to engage and disengage the starting capacitor. Check to be sure it is working. After powering up the motor and disconnecting, give it a few minutes to discharge the capacitors. They can zap you good if you don't. DAMHIKT.

• Like 1

I hate to rub this in, but I had a great day in the shop. Made a drawer for a chess table.  Cut the best half blind dovetails I have ever made.  The drawer was the last thing I needed to complete.  A little more scraping and sanding, should get the 1st coat of finish on it tomorrow. 

Sorry about your poor results today ... yep, good day to just do some cleaning.

dw

Pictures, or it didn't happen! ?

Plenty of space in the Project Journal / Showcase forums!

Glad to see someone had a good day.

7 hours ago, Robby W said:

Cliff - on most single phase motors, the is a centrifugal starting switch to engage and disengage the starting capacitor. Check to be sure it is working. After powering up the motor and disconnecting, give it a few minutes to discharge the capacitors. They can zap you good if you don't. DAMHIKT.

I sold a Grizzly bandsaw to a kid and his dad he was cutting bowl blanks and when the kid was testing it out and cutting the bowl blank he was pushing real hard on the blade and twisting it which caused the starting capacitor to burn out. When he got it home it would turn slow and not start up. He'd spin the upper wheel by hand and it would get it going. @Cliff try taking off the belt and see if you can press power and then try to spin the pulley and get the motor to start spinning. It's worth a shot.

• Like 1