Show off your dining room table!

I'm starting to plan out a new dining room table, likely won't start until late summer/fall, my wife and I are on somewhat different pages. I want something simple and elegant but not formal. She's thinking more rustic with "big chunky legs or pedestals. We can't seem to find one online anywhere that inspires both of us. So...

If you've made a dining room table please share it. We're both looking for hints of what we like so we can be inspired to design our own. 

14 minutes ago, RichardA said:

It's all red oak, several pieces were from a barn that was over 100 years old.  I try to use an ancient piece in everything I build for customers and for me.

No problems holding up to the weather? Mine would be on a covered porch and with spar varnish should be fine. I have a bunch of rift sawn red oak I want to use up. 

3 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

No problems holding up to the weather? Mine would be on a covered porch and with spar varnish should be fine. I have a bunch of rift sawn red oak I want to use up. 

That's where I took the picture, it's actually in the dining room with the 4th stool.  I would think, being under cover it would hold up quite well!

This is a real simple dinning room table that I made several years ago but is still in use to this day.

Not much for looks but very convent for daily use and expands in a heartbeat. You can use one leaf on either end or both at the same time.

It is made of solid cherry legs and aprons and cherry ply top. It is much darker in color these days of course.

The thing that I like about it is that the leaves are stored under the top on sliding arms. The top is completely loose and removable and each leg is held on with only one bolt for easy break down and moving. (if we ever move :) )

The plans came from a magazine (WOOD I think) My brother made one out of oak and then made another for his daughter later.

IMG_0255_zpso855atki.jpg

IMG_0256_zpsmngnuyej.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Thanks to all for sharing. After much debating with the misses I think we are going to go with a hayrake style design. I like a appreciate the design aesthetics of arts and crafts but my wife does not. To kinda meet in the middle I think the hayrake table made out of walnut will work. Following the design by FWW a couple of years I came up with the below design.

It's 44" wide and 120" long to seat 10.

• The top will be 8/4 ( I'm going to have my supplier joint all of my boards for me given I'm not completely confident in my abilities to joint boards 10' long yet...).
  • 4" breadboard ends with pegs through the bottom and not showing through the top. 
  • Legs will be 3 1/2" square. 
  • Stretchers are 1 3/4" by 4"
  • Hayrake will be 3" x 3"
  • Hayrake design will not be curved but straight across (design consideration from the wife, the curve made her think it looked nautical. don't ask.)
  • Edge profiles will likely be like the FWW design
  • Through M&T and draw bored pegs
  • All walnut. I considered light maple accents however the client says no.

With the above and the attached two rough sketchs do you have any other design recommendations?

Hayrake - Jason full.jpg

Hayrake - Jason base.jpg

51 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Holy cow, that's gonna be heavy as a roubo! I like the design, though. Being so large do plan to make it so the joints come apart for moving?

The top will be attached with shop made buttons. I'm considering attaching the stretchers and hayrack to the legs with tusk tenons. 

32 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

IMHO those 3 1/2" non tapered square legs will look super extra massive in a not so good looking way, for a dining room table, aggravated by the fact that the table top will be less than 2" thick and without aprons. But that's just my opinion.

FWW actually cut the corners off to reduce the "massive" look. They'll be something like this. Do you feel that will change your opinion at all? 

Hayrake - Leg.jpg