Festool Domino

10 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Pug, has it taken the place of all of your mortise and tenons?

Pretty much.  If I need a bigger tenon, I double up on dominoes.  Through tenons, however, require a tradional appraoch. 

If I need traditional mortise and tenon, I cut tenons flat on the table saw, and use a forstner bit and chisel for the mortises.

==>increase the footprint in my shop by storing my mortising machine and replacing it with a domino

If you have the discretionary spend and don't do a lot of A&C, then it's a no-brainer. The domino is one of the few game-changing woodworking tools introduced in the last decade.

Your only decision should be the 500 or 700... That comes down to the size of your pieces... If you've got the cash, get both. If you build mostly full-sized pieces, then the 700 (you can purchase the smaller cutters for the 700 from Seneca tools)...

Happy mortising...

PS After getting the 500 and 700, I eBayed by HCM and gave away my biscuit joiner... Never missed them... Well, not exactly true -- I did an A&C piece and could have used the HCM... But that's one piece in maybe five years...

Haven't used my biscuit machine or HCM much at all since I got my  Domino. I make my own domino  tenon stock to fit the 3 width settings for each  size bit available. I can cut them to any length I want. This give me the versatility  to fit almost any situation that comes up. Since I have the smaller machine if I need to do the occasional larger scale piece I just use 2 layers of Domino tenons to provide more strength and glue surface. 

My first Festool piece was a 6" ETS 150/3 sander. It's been in almost daily use for about 8 years so my opinion of Festool equipment is pretty good.  It is pretty pricey stuff but the customer service is great. On the few rare occasions I have needed parts the prices and speed of response was far better than any other tool company I have dealt with.