SawStop Demonstrations Don't Impress Me

6 minutes ago, weithman5 said:

nice todd

i am hoping to get a sawstop someday when (if) we move to Dillon tax free in montana.

Yep, it's all free of sales tax in Montana...but they get it in other ways, wait until you pay your vehicle registration fees. 

8 minutes ago, weithman5 said:

nice todd

i am hoping to get a sawstop someday when (if) we move to Dillon tax free in montana.

Just realized your icon is Archer. I love Archer!

26 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Vehicle registration fees are about $100 here.  They stick us on property and sales tax.  

Chicago/Cook County/Illinois Combined Sales Tax = 10.25%

Property Tax = 2% of home value

State Income Tax  = 3% of income

Gas and Alcohol tax = whatever is left

Yikes! That sales tax is getting up there! When I work back in central Ohio sales tax runs 8% to 8-1/2%

Just now, shaneymack said:

Sales tax here is 15% and i pay 50% income tax. Sounds like a sweet deal to live in Chicago!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah but you didn't have to pay to get your nads cut off!

Sales tax in the city is 7%. There is also a 2.5% restaurant tax which is applied to your total plus sales tax. Nothing like getting your tax taxed!

• Like 1

Sales tax here is 15% and i pay 50% income tax. Sounds like a sweet deal to live in Chicago!

Yeah but you didn't have to pay to get your nads cut off!

Sales tax in the city is 7%. There is also a 2.5% restaurant tax which is applied to your total plus sales tax. Nothing like getting your tax taxed!

I actually did pay when I got the boys trimmed. No way i was trusting that to the public system. I got it done in a private clinic.

40 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Vehicle registration fees are about $100 here.  They stick us on property and sales tax.  

Chicago/Cook County/Illinois Combined Sales Tax = 10.25%

Property Tax = 2% of home value

State Income Tax  = 3% of income

Gas and Alcohol tax = whatever is left

Still, the quality of life is high in Montana. I would never go live back in Ohio even though all my family is there. 

I look at the saw stop and think, man if this thing isn't powerful enough to cut thru a hot dog why would I want it or why does that guy have his lunch on the table saw, keep your dogs away from the blade.

For those with safety issues and don't trust they are working safely it would be a good purchase, but I have heard that once they have activated the trap they are a pain to re-calibrate. I like a good ole uni.

I activated a brake on my SS when I ran my improperly set up Osborne fence into the blade.

The saw required no recal afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy crap! How do you have anything left over to pay the bills?

Lol. After feeding the wife, four kids, dog and horse and buying tools of course there is nothing left ! Atleast I have a great pension plan with the carpenters union here.

I have no plans to remove this thread or lock it.  I will probably go back and clean it up though.

While Todd isn't a regular contributor to this forum, he's been around for quite some time and I have always known him to be an honest person. If he says he received no compensation for that video, end of story. Just FYI, companies "sponsor" their own Facebook posts when they want something to receive maximum exposure. So if Todd happened to make a video they like, they can simply make a few clicks to "promote" it so that it shows up in more users' timelines. While this does increase views on Todd's video, it does NOT mean they are compensating Todd in any way. I made a cyclone dust collector review video years ago and Onieda's Dust Deputy was the winner. They promoted the video and even referenced it in their print ads. Guess how much money I received for that? Exactly zero dollars.

Furthermore, Todd isn't breaking any rules here. From the posted guidelines:

Members contributing to this forum may place links to their personal and/or professional websites in posts when relevant and within signatures. Members may link content from their own website as long as they bring in enough information to answer the person's question and follow up with the link. If a video is involved, the video should be embedded directly. "Hey check out my cool post over on my site!" is not acceptable. But answering a question thoroughly and then giving a link for more information is acceptable. Keep in mind that if you are new here and you immediately start posting links, you'll raise the suspicion of the moderators and you could be inadvertently banned. If your first post to the forum is a link to an outside website, the post will be removed.

Todd embedded the video and stuck around to participate in the conversation. And while he doesn't post often, he's far from an unknown in the community. Now if he makes a habit of drive-by posts in an effort to drive traffic, we'll take care of that as we always do. But for now, let's keep things on topic.

• Like 2

Man you step away from the web for awhile and miss so much.  Todd I personally enjoy your videos.  

The whole SawStop hot dog demo makes me laugh, first I don't keep a stash of Ball Park franks in the shop, but I would be more impressed if the guy doing the demo would just stick his finger in there.  Have confidence in your product.  I feel it is my civic duty to do this test personally. SawStop, you listening, PM me for my address.  

Guys I gotta say I never imagined this whole thing would blow up like this. 

My only goal was to share. I am a pretty simple man and there was no deviant motive.

I have personal plans for myself but my major motivation is simply to share. Whatever happens will happen honestly and organically. 

After walking away from this thread for a while, I now realize the perception of me showing up as I did and I understand that. 

I have been disconnected from the online woodworkers for a long time and I have been wanting to reconnect and share again. 

The video is genuine, it was intended to share legitimate issues with some humor. I made that without SawStop's knowledge and I had to convince A&H Turf to do the demo. They initially turned me down too. 

The difference was that I have been a long time customer and I was able to push it more and convince them to do it. 

SawStop apparently has some standards about what they can do since it starts adding a lot of variability to the demonstrations and if it appears to fail based on these variables, the dealer can suffer legal consequences for the damage to the company. 

I understand the point being made about driving traffic, I was simply excited to share. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Wood has to be pretty wet to trigger.

In the interest of levity I will tell the true story behind my sawstop trigger  

The Telltale Saw:

It was a dark and stormy night.   I went into the shop, beer in hand, to sort through my lumber stock in anticipation of the morning's project.   As I was digging out a long 8/4 stick of hard maple, the skies let out a caucophony of thunder.  Startled, I fell backward and knocked over a large stack of maple.   My fingers and toes avoided crushing defeat, but the beer in my hand did not   

A few weeks later I go back to the stack and find an unusually heavy maple short with jet black streaking sitting on the ground.  Of course I had to cut it in half to see what the inside.   i fire up the sawstop and with the sound of a cracking whip, the blade was gone.  That particular board had been marinating in 10 ounces of IPA for a couple weeks and was wet to the touch.  I should have known better, but I simply forgot to disengage the the safety feature before starting the saw.  

A good story to read while curled up with a cup of hot chocolate!

39 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

There is an override feature for those situations. But I have no idea how sensitive the whole system is and at what point you have to use it. 

42 minutes ago, ncfowler said:

one simple question, what happen when you use wood with a high moisture content?

Like Todd said there is a key that allows one to over ride the system, in fact in the manual they speak directly to thing like cutting pressure treated wood of if you put as blade on that is capable of cutting metal  

Just now, Chet K. said:

Like Todd said there is a key that allows one to over ride the system, in fact in the manual they speak directly to thing like cutting pressure treated wood of if you put as blade on that is capable of cutting metal  

I thought they said at one of the demonstrations I saw a couple of years ago that you could touch material in question to the blade and an indicator light would come on the readout to let you know if it was conductive.