SawStop Demonstrations Don't Impress Me

4 minutes ago, hhh said:

==>make this difficult.

Who me?  Just gauging the size of the loopholes... :)

I needed that question. Gray as it may be, that is where the great majority of us are. It seems Evaporust acted for someone in a way that is not sponsorship but was an act. I don't believe that member violated any rules, but there is a line there somewhere. Thanks Marc for stepping in even though it comes through as an annoyance. The world is changing. 

4 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

I thought they said at one of the demonstrations I saw a couple of years ago that you could touch material in question to the blade and an indicator light would come on the readout to let you know if it was conductive. 

That is correct, when the saw is off, as in blade is not in motion.  But most of us know that pressure treated can be real dry on the oust side and still pretty damn wet on the inside.   If I were to cut pressure treated on my SawStop ( I won't thought ) I think I would just power it down for that operation.

• Like 1

Kinda straying from the topic but I have learned to keep a few pieces of pressure treated around the shop so it has plenty of time to dry out. Seems like sooner or later a project comes along that needs a few treated parts due to the possibility of moisture problems someday.

I learned about a new class of treated. KDAT Kiln dried after treatment. It's a higher grade board to start with then it gets kiln dried after pressure treatment. It's pretty pricey stuff. I had to quote a job that specified using it for some exterior decorative brackets.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Kinda straying from the topic but I have learned to keep a few pieces of pressure treated around the shop so it has plenty of time to dry out. Seems like sooner or later a project comes along that needs a few treated parts due to the possibility of moisture problems someday.

I learned about a new class of treated. KDAT Kiln dried after treatment. It's a higher grade board to start with then it gets kiln dried after pressure treatment. It's pretty pricey stuff. I had to quote a job that specified using it for some exterior decorative brackets.

I have not seen nor heard of that product. I will have to ask about it at my suppliers here. 

1 hour ago, Woodenskye said:

Man you step away from the web for awhile and miss so much.  Todd I personally enjoy your videos.  

The whole SawStop hot dog demo makes me laugh, first I don't keep a stash of Ball Park franks in the shop, but I would be more impressed if the guy doing the demo would just stick his finger in there.  Have confidence in your product.  I feel it is my civic duty to do this test personally. SawStop, you listening, PM me for my address.  

A lot of people said this in the first few years the saw was out and Dr. Gass took up the challenge to show that he trusted his own invention completely.

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-gass-sawstop-demonstration-2013-5

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:38 PM, toddclippinger said:

Still, the quality of life is high in Montana. I would never go live back in Ohio even though all my family is there.

my family is all in ohio also (Galion)

but I fell in love with Montana years ago,  just need to find the way out of Illinois. no way I can retire here, the taxes are just too much.  i feel like i support my family and two others

14 minutes ago, Mike. said:

gotta love a state where the last 2 governors ended up in jail. 

Yea and they probably missed some Chicago mayors along the way.  I can remember my government teacher in high school, think late 60's, saying this city or that state better be careful that they don't end up using Chicago politics

It is unfortunate that we can't train every employee to have a fully functional brain. Some of them are very lucky though, when they turn fifty their brains will be like brand new, because they aren't using them now. The sawstop is an impressive piece of hardware to correct a failure in the software.

• Like 2