Concealment Furniture

prov163

I am expanding my gun collection but like to keep them concealed at home.  I really don't like gun safes - too industrial.  I'm planning to build some new furniture for the house anyway, Shaker Style mainly.  It would be great to include some varying levels of concealment in the design and final product.  Do any of you have experience building this kind of furniture, and if so, would you be wiling to share it with me?  Also, any resources you'd recommend - plans, videos, etc. would be great.

Thanks!

Ok guys, let's try to Not get this one locked.

Are you talking concealment of handgun or long guns?

a few years ago I build a folded military honor flag case for a friend. The case was about 6" deep so the feet most side was able to slide down concealing a full frame. It was sized to fit a 1911

A drawer or false access panel in the toe kick of a base cabinet or the base of a piece of furniture is an excellent place to conceal long guns. Creative use of those magnetic childproof locks for kitchen cabinets will save you hours trying to come up with latching mechanisms on your own.

Did you watch the video on the ash chest ? He had a great release for a hidden drawer.

@prov163 Are you hoping to make a single piece of furniture solely for concealing the collection? Or were you hoping to have multiple pieces around the house, with each one concealing an item?

On a similar note, and for a somewhat similar purpose, I was wondering if anyone has ever made any metal-reinforced  furniture (looks like normal wood furniture from the outside, some type of metal frame on the inside) ...this would keep someone from simply breaking it apart with a hammer or axe to steal the contents.  Perhaps an easier way to picture it would be imagining a light-duty metal safe with a wood veneer...

8b94af6bcee9d9d233f1eee3776c6026.jpg

That's one I'm working on myself.

I have a friend of mine that's building a Bed set that has a compartment on each post of the headboard to hold his and his wife's matching 9mm. If I can remember I'll get a picture of it when I see it next week.

Pinterest has a lot of ideas. Also, look up "Tactical Walls" on YouTube. They have some genius ideas there if you can go off of their design but make it your own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are building free standing furniture with concealment I would test that the compartment doesn't pop open if the piece gets tipped over or turned upside down. A sofa could be tipped over if they are trying to look under it. Tables flipped over for the shear destructiveness .

If you want the metal insides that were mentioned earlier I would buy a metal gun case and build around it. That's got to be more affordable and functional than having something custom made in metal.

12 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

If you are building free standing furniture with concealment I would test that the compartment doesn't pop open if the piece gets tipped over or turned upside down. A sofa could be tipped over if they are trying to look under it. Tables flipped over for the shear destructiveness .

If you want the metal insides that were mentioned earlier I would buy a metal gun case and build around it. That's got to be more affordable and functional than having something custom made in metal.

You make a good point. Problem solving for these issues is part of the journey. 

Just an idea but a good place for lots of large storage would be in the apron of a larger dining table. The design could be similar to Marc's gaming table except make the top 1 piece that lifts off. It would have to be purely for concealed storage because there wouldn't be quick access. A 42" x 84" dining table could hold a lot under the top between the aprons.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Just an idea but a good place for lots of large storage would be in the apron of a larger dining table. The design could be similar to Marc's gaming table except make the top 1 piece that lifts off. It would have to be purely for concealed storage because there wouldn't be quick access. A 42" x 84" dining table could hold a lot under the top between the aprons.

Hiding in plain site. 

This one is a great idea because as you stand in the room, you see the table top, underneath of it and it is clear that it has nothing to offer an intruder. A dining table and chairs is something you have to walk around to get to the furniture that stores valuables like the dresser or under the bed. 

Great response so far guys.  A couple of clarifying notes:

Initially I am going to be building a pair of matching nightstands for the bedroom and an end table for next to my living room chair, so those will be the guinea pigs for the process.  There will be other free standing furniture in the near future so I would like to incorporate these hidden compartments, though not always for gun storage.

My son is a LEO so I want to build him a flag, kind of like Amateur Eric's picture, but with a "Blue Lives Matter" theme.  ***Please note that is not a political statement in any fashion***  If that goes well, I might be able to sell a few to other local LEO for which I'd donate the profits to buy stuffed animals for kids in domestic violence cases.

Hinges and latches are of course key elements.  Wdwerker, tell me more about the latches you are talking about.  Is the "Ash Chest" one of Marc's videos?  I'm way behind on Marc's stuff :( due to extra stress at work this time of year.

I really appreciate your input and suggestions.  Keep it coming!

Rev a shelf child safety locks. They are available almost everywhere.

Lots of great magnets at K&J Magnetics for holding panels in place etc.

DenisOrlov posted a video of his ash chest build recently. It shows an interior divider that has to be lifted before the secret drawer under the chest would pull out.

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Sorry to the OP for hijacking, but Rog, would you consider sharing the construction details on that hinge?

It is not hard really. Except for drilling the hole from each end for the brass rod that acts as the pivot pin.

WarampPeace006_zps04885926.jpg

I've used this type of wooden hinge on other projects as well.

Me254.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

im working on some concealment furniture for a couple different customers. what im building i made the plans myself by listening to what the customers wanted.one thing i HIGHLY suggest is DO NOT build exactly like what these companies on youtube and the www show. think about it:

not all theives are druggies breaking in for quick money. there are professional theives. they look on the web ,see the videos of concealment furniture- furniture the makers are so proud to show exactly how to get into.........

pro theives arent dumb. 

think outside the box and practical.

if your lookin for concealment you dont want quick access to, look at stealthlocks.