Is it wasteful to mill down 6/4 to 3/4"?

I have a good source for 6/4 maple but no bandsaw to resaw anything. I'm not sure the guy mills thinner than 6/4 with his bandsaw mill.

Is it excessive and wasteful to mill 6/4 stock down to 3/4" for face frames? What do most guys start with?

Seems like a lot of planer shavings and wear and tear on blades but I guess I have to deal with what I have available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, nwhomesteader said:

I have to deal with what I have available.

You said it. 

If you can only get 6/4, then 6/4 it is..

Personally, I'd look around with intention to buy some 4/4 and leave the 6/4 for another day. Face frames shouldn't need a whole lot of material unless you're facing a whole kitchen.  Another thing to consider is if you take your 6/4 down to 3/4, there's no telling if it will stay straight on you. 

If you decide to plane it away,  I would recommend doing it in two steps to see how the material you have reacts. 

• Like 2

If I get thicker stock like that I hate to waste it away as sawdust. 

I always try to get material closer to the thickness that I will need in the end.

#1 it saves time in milling and #2 if I do start milling thick stock down into thinner stock, not only is it adding labor, but it seems to release stress in the material and what was straight as a thicker board, tends to have some bow or twist as a thinner board. 

Your post kinda leaves me with one question: is this material kiln dried or is it just milled up and not dried yet? I would pass for kiln dried lumber for your project. Unless, of course, you want to try your hand at drying lumber too. 

Gotta add another thought - Even if you don't have a bandsaw, you still can arrange your milling to peel off the excess with just the table saw too. 

• Like 1

He has some stuff that is kiln dried and that's what I got. Anywhere from 5-9" wide and about 6' long. He also has hoards of slabs that are just air dried.

That makes sense about the boards moving a lot when milling off that much material, I did wonder about that.

It's a strange concern for me because it's purely about feeling wasteful. It has nothing to do with cost. This stuff was about $2.50 per board foot. Well under hardwood lumber store prices.

I think I'm go there tomorrow and see if he has anything thinner

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I suffer from the same dilemma. Not having a band saw that can do resaw makes it difficult to bring any stock down to where I want it. That's how I went and bought 6/4 walnut because I needed 1.25" and couldn't see wasting away lumber that is over 2" thick. Of course, the boards I got were so nice that now I can't use those for my project either without feeling horrid so it's back to the sawmill on Saturday.

• Like 1

Yes it's wasteful of wood.  But worse, it's wasteful of time and money and effort and wear and tear on your machines.  It's just plain silly.  Buy the appropriate size for the project at hand.  It always amazes me when people spend ten dollars to save five.

• Like 1

If the stock is already flat, then it is wasteful. Since it's only maple and not something awesome... who cares really. It's a little more work for you. If you resaw you will may end up with two unstable pieces as you are removing more material from one side than the other. 

Wasteful, yes.  However, it depends on the deal you're getting. If you're getting the 6/4 cheaper than you can get 4/4 elsewhere then I'd buy the 6/4.  I would also invest in a bandsaw to increase (double) the amount of lumber I'm getting at that price.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Wasteful, yes.  However, it depends on the deal you're getting. If you're getting the 6/4 cheaper than you can get 4/4 elsewhere then I'd buy the 6/4.  I would also invest in a bandsaw to increase (double) the amount of lumber I'm getting at that price.  

To hell with that, I'm just gonna buy logs and invest in a sawmill and really save some money....sorry I couldn't resist :wub: 

Hey man... no right or wrong way. Only the individual can decide where to draw the line on cheap.  

-Ace-  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

To hell with that, I'm just gonna buy logs and invest in a sawmill and really save some money....sorry I couldn't resist :wub: 

Hey man... no right or wrong way. Only the individual can decide where to draw the line on cheap.  

-Ace-  

Cheap Booze - yes

Cheap Women - maybe

Cheap Tools - no way

There is my line. 

Yes it's wasteful of wood.  But worse, it's wasteful of time and money and effort and wear and tear on your machines.  It's just plain silly.  Buy the appropriate size for the project at hand.  It always amazes me when people spend ten dollars to save five.

Like I said, if there's something closer to the size I need, I'll buy it. It makes no sense to me to drive an hour and a half, wasting time and fuel to go to a store which sells hardwood for $6+ per board foot with limited selection vs driving 15 minutes where this guy sells for $2.50 and has tons.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Compost the shavings.  If the tree weren't milled the whole thing would have become compost or firewood.   

I've actually been using them for bedding for my chickens and goats.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, nwhomesteader said:

Like I said, if there's something closer to the size I need, I'll buy it. It makes no sense to me to drive an hour and a half, wasting time and fuel to go to a store which sells hardwood for $6+ per board foot with limited selection vs driving 15 minutes where this guy sells for $2.50 and has tons.

For those prices, I'd buy the thicker stuff all day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nwhomesteader said:

What was your question again?

• Like 1