American Girl project suggestions?

Bombarde16

052115-slide4924-218073[1].jpg

I hardly thought it possible that Disney could be outdone in ways to separate parents from their money, then my 8-year old discovered American Girl dolls.  Anyone run across ideas for presents one could turn on a lathe which would fit with this line of miniature wallet vampires?

My Grand daughter had to have one. She got one for Christmas. I made her the bed, which if you went out and bought it cost about $150.00. I made it out of thin wood and posts, but you could turn the frame and supports for the canopy. That would look sharp. The bed is about 23 inches long and 13 inches high. Try it.

All Mostly good ideas!  Seems like the bed is the strongest prospect.  Did a quick sketch of a four poster.

Doll bed sketch.jpg

Profiles for the actual turnings are yet to be worked out.  Headboard may well be replaced by a pair of turned spindles.  (Lots easier than scribing a headboard to a turned post.)  Material will be a piece of bone-dry fir that's been laying about saying, "Use me!"

Still thinking over joinery options.  It'd be nice for this to flat pack, both for getting it to its intended destination and for the day when it goes into storage.  Tester frame is one piece.  Head and foot assemblies are single pieces.  Long rails with mattress platform will be a single piece.  Biggest question will be joining the long rails to the head/foot posts.  Pocket screws would certainly get the job done.  (Heck, it's doll furniture...even a butt joint would do it.)  But I'm half thinking of doing tusk tenons with little wedges.  It'd be a pain in something this small but it'd also be something that the little one can assemble and disassemble for fun.  Just need to include an ample supply of wedges.

That looks great. I used dowels to attach the rails to the head board and foot board. You could turn the posts with a tendon on the end so that you can insert them into the bottom section of the feet which looks like they are just square. I also like the canopy made out of spindles. Keep us up dated.