Shop insurance

Cliff

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Yeah I'm definitely over 10k since Feb of last year. And I have only logged purchases from amazon, Home Depot and Lee Valley so far. Plus the jointer and my table saw which came from different places.

I wonder if I win a prize if it hits the amount I owe on my house?

You win the price of a 2nd mortgage and serious scorn from the father-in-law! I own a cheap house and I'd be hard pressed to spend the same amount i spent on my house on tools. In fact I'm pretty happy with my setup, well i will be once this band saw gets delivered, and I'm probably under 10K.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

You win the price of a 2nd mortgage and serious scorn from the father-in-law! I own a cheap house and I'd be hard pressed to spend the same amount i spent on my house on tools. In fact I'm pretty happy with my setup, well i will be once this band saw gets delivered, and I'm probably under 10K.

I had a lot of catchup to do. I'm not the kind of dude that is like "give me a handsaw and some sandpaper and I'll make you the best thing you've ever seen." If I'm going to do something I'm going to make sure I got stuff that works the way I want it. And of course when I started I had a circular saw and a drill, nothing else. So it's really not even big ticket items so much as about 100 misc little things that got me to this point.

I look for my spending to drop severely now. Hopefully manage one big purchase per year. Drum sander then upgrades.

I'm honestly nowhere near my house, so we're all good. I'd have to outfit the shop in 100% powermatic and Festool to get there. And I live in a very cheap cost of living area, so I'm sure my house price is a fraction of most.

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I had a lot of catchup to do. I'm not the kind of dude that is like "give me a handsaw and some sandpaper and I'll make you the best thing you've ever seen." If I'm going to do something I'm going to make sure I got stuff that works the way I want it. And of course when I started I had a circular saw and a drill, nothing else. So it's really not even big ticket items so much as about 100 misc little things that got me to this point.

I look for my spending to drop severely now. Hopefully manage one big purchase per year. Drum sander then upgrades.

I'm honestly nowhere near my house, so we're all good. I'd have to outfit the shop in 100% powermatic and Festool to get there. And I live in a very cheap cost of living area, so I'm sure my house price is a fraction of most.

Oh man - the drum sander is a total game changer!

I gotta warn you, the DC may need upgrading if you get a sanding machine. It will need at least a 1 micron filtration and you will need a 2 stage system of some kind or the filter will plug up fast. 

9 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Cost of living is actually pretty high here, thanks to the oil boom. Also thanks to the oil boom people actually know that North Dakota is a state now, i much preferred being forgotten about. That being said i got a steal on my house and owe less than 6 figures on it which has me pretty excited. I also haven't gone cheap, there are just some items that i know i won't use very often and if they are big ticket i just push them off. I know a drum sander is a game changer i just don't see my self having space for it and using it a ton.

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Cost of living is actually pretty high here, thanks to the oil boom. Also thanks to the oil boom people actually know that North Dakota is a state now, i much preferred being forgotten about. That being said i got a steal on my house and owe less than 6 figures on it which has me pretty excited. I also haven't gone cheap, there are just some items that i know i won't use very often and if they are big ticket i just push them off. I know a drum sander is a game changer i just don't see my self having space for it and using it a ton.

Heh, we bought our house for $75k. And it's somewhere in the middle or high end for our town. There are half-million dollar homes for sure, but far far more $20-40k houses. All the factories left town, nobody has money or jobs really. We've only owned it for 4 years, so we haven't paid much down since the initial 20%.

I think I'll use a drum sander all the time. Seems like everything I want to make requires 25" panel or something. Plus I want to make end grain cutting boards as gifts and other things. Since I don't have space to leave a router sled up all the time, I just don't really want to bother with setting one up at all to flatten big stuff.

17 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

Oh man - the drum sander is a total game changer!

I gotta warn you, the DC may need upgrading if you get a sanding machine. It will need at least a 1 micron filtration and you will need a 2 stage system of some kind or the filter will plug up fast. 

I'm running 2HP HF unit with super dust deputy and 55-gallon fiber drum at the moment. Also, at the moment, it connects to one machine at a time. I got the dust right thing from rockler and a expanding hose so I just connect when I need to. So the drum sander would have it's dedicated line. Hopefully this will do it for me.

I can't wait to get the drum sander. Well, then again, I can, cause I am. I chose the ETS150/3, track saw over the drum sander in the past month. But now that those are out of the way it's time to start saving. I hope!

3 hours ago, toddclippinger said:

Without registering your items, the only way to get it back from the pawn shops is to literally buy it from them. 

It would be even more of a challenge to have to buy them back figuratively.

Besides, a table saw as a self-existing abstract object might not even be insurable.

todd that was interesting info,, but from my experience the police dont even bother to keep up with the pawn shops when a theft happens its not worth there time if they stumble onto something great but not going to keep tabs.. in my case they got the guys the next afternoon by accident. and the stuff they had was mostly sold already.

Just now, Merlau said:

todd that was interesting info,, but from my experience the police dont even bother to keep up with the pawn shops when a theft happens its not worth there time if they stumble onto something great but not going to keep tabs.. in my case they got the guys the next afternoon by accident. and the stuff they had was mostly sold already.

Oh I agree with you. You are definitely correct.

Anybody I know that ever found their stuff in the pawn shop, found it themselves or a buddy saw it and recognized it. The police won't go taking an inventory of the local pawn shops. But if you visit the pawn shops and you locate your stuff with the ID on it, you get it back. 

the worst memory of it was seeing them basically get away with it.. had restitution granted and got 56 dollars of it.. that was another farce.. the only good side was talking with the two officers, one was detective who gave me back a piece of evidence that was used in the trial that he didnt have to do,, they showed up 2 days later after the theft in a unmarked car and street clothes, i didnt recognize them and they said they were officers i said prove it and not just one way.. i wasnt very friendly right then:)

This is a great thread.  It's easy to remember the value we spent on big tools etc, but easy to forget how quickly the smaller items add up.  I know I'm way overdue for an inventory.  I have so much of my life in my shop at this point, having to replace it would be a pure nightmare.  

We were robbed once, it's the worst feeling of violation ever. What pissed me off the most was they left my new Nikon digital SLR and took an old antique camera and a small coin that were  family heirlooms.  The camera was worth almost nothing pure sentimental value. Had they just taken the Nikon it was easily replaceable.  

Fire is obviously another big worry, but quite honestly at that point I care more about my dogs then possessions.