Tool Fitting

I've used foambymail.com and have gotten charcoal foam for custom cut gun cases. Cut out shapes using a hot wire rig or a nice long sharp knife. I use a thin layer for the bottom and then a thicker layer that the shapes are cut out of and then another thin layer or eggcrate for the lid side. Once I stop buying/changing tools I'll start cutting out trays of foam for my nicer tool drawers I imagine.

Big thing to watch out for is moisture. Unlike guns you won't be putting things away wet and sealing the cases up so that's a bonus. Open cell foam (charcoal foam and the like) will allow moisture to travel through it. Closed cell foam (minicell is an example) will not allow moisture to move through it. Just be aware if you are storing in places with large temperature/humidity swings. In my gun cases I throw several rechargeable desiccant packs.

• Like 1

Yesterday I tried to cut the template on a piece of high density foam, the type of foam that comes in Pelican cases. I noticed that my tools are too close to each other for the sake of foam. I may have to cut the template from solid wood, since there is not much room there for rearranging my tools.