Fountain Pen Kits?

Josiah Brown

I've been turning pens for some time now and have recently moved into turning higher end fountain pens. I have tried several kits, but for the most part I have been using the navigator fountain pen kit from woodcraft.  I have not been overly pleased with the way that the pen writes.  Does anyone else has experience in turning fountain pens and have suggestions on which kit is the best?  I am willing to spend more on kits if it will actually perform better.  Any suggestions would be great!

I turn Executive pens and the Nouveau Sceptre Ball Point pens. I just did one with Rhodium in it. It retails between $60 and $90.

Look at Penn State Industries. I get most of my supplies from them. I also do slimline and bolt action pens. They list a lot more kits than Woodcraft.

These are the two nicest (also the most expensive) I have come across.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/3544/Artisan-Statesman-Fountain-Pen-Kit

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/3/5031/Artisan-Gentlemen%27s-Fountain-Pen-Kit

They are well reviewed online at other forums. I turned the "Jr" version of these kits before and found they wrote well but some of the components were plastic which I did not like. All the external pieces were metal but /shrug I wanted an all metal kit.

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have never turned a pen but could you buy a fountain pen and strip it for the parts ?

The problem with that is a quality fountain pen costs much more than these kits.

One problem with these kits is they come with a fine nib.. In general people that use fountain pens prefer a broader nib with a wet flow. Writing with a fine nib rigid nib is basically like writing with a ball point pen.... :(

There are no writing samples, no shots of the pen un-posted, or mention of how the cap is attached to the pen. Is is a friction fit, or screwed on? All of these things matter, and are not addressed in the sales info. 

19 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have never turned a pen but could you buy a fountain pen and strip it for the parts ?

Yes you can. I have a kit that disassembles pens. When you make a mistake or they blow apart you can get the parts back.

I always wondered about the writing quality. I have a half dozen 149s in various custom grinds and flexes. I just cant see how anyone can top the vintage MBs, so why try?

In the spirit of being more helpful, I would look for broken or damaged pens on ebay and the FPN. Second, see if pelican, sailor, mont blanc, or another manufacturer will sell you just a nib/feed/piston etc. Long shot, but you might have luck with all the pen repair guys and nib meisters. Ive seen guys with bins full of vintage pen parts before, so I know there must be a lot out there. Third, and I don't condone this, but buy vintage pens and cannibalize them for parts. The "2,3, and 4" series MBs are blue collar in their adornment, but they write fantastically. More importantly, they are 1/3rd the cost of the "1" series. The 50s pelicans are pretty good as well.

• Like 1

On April 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Pwk5017 said:

so why try?

Seems to be price point. But looking for a cheap fountain pen is silly...

All of this FP talk, I just purchased a new Franklin-Christoph Model 02. Should be here soon! Now for some new ink :)