Custom Branding Irons

Eric.

On 4/21/2016 at 9:40 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Anyone with a CNC router and a chunk of brass should be able to mill one to say whatever you want, so long as you can heat it externally. I heat mine on the kitchen stove.

If you want electric, it might get more complicated.

I tried doing this exact thing with my little machine.  Lots of failures, and I came to the conclusion that the Shapeoko 2,3 and Xcarve just don't have enough power for brass.  Plus those machines usually use a router for the spindle which spins WAY to fast for milling brass.  

7 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I guess you are right. I made mine with a file and a Dremel tool.

I made some great samples/stamps out of MDF with it.  Brass was just too much.  Bigger CNC machines would have no problem. 

Post a picture, I'd love to see what you made.

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Very cool.  Here is what I attempted.  I figured out a way to take a photo of something with my phone, then convert that image using a couple different softwares to usable CNC files.  This is my initials that I scribbled on a piece of paper.

MDF - which went well.

And then brass. I tried many many different configuration of bits and speeds.

I REALLY wanted this to work out.

If you really, REALLY, want to make that yourself, use the CNC to mill out a negative mold from firebrick (its pretty soft), then melt some brass or aluminum to cast into it. Al. will work as an iron, but doesn't hold heat like brass. Also easier to damage with a torch, so heating with a stove or hotplate is a better option.

• 2 months later...

My buddy finally had a free day so he knocked out a couple options.  I can have him make whatever changes I want but I don't wanna be too huge of a PITA.

I think I like the second one enough to move forward.  Not the most groundbreaking creative thing ever but it's simple and suits my taste.  Thoughts?

Zoom out

Zoom out

Weird.  Everyone else who I ask likes the first one too.  I don't.  It's too busy and I don't care for the font.  I do prefer the diamond shape to the oval but that's it.  My buddy sent me the files for these so I guess my revisions are over anyway.  LOL :lol:

Time to pick a brand maker.

I see what you're saying about the busyness, I was thinking more about the overall shape's appearance from far away...the oval looks pretty standard, the diamond had a little uniqueness to it...

I'm mostly just trying to imagine it on the Krenov inspired stuff that you have posted here, not your rustic line, though.  :D

Oh if I was cool like Krenov I'd just do what he did...carve two little letters in an inconspicuous spot...JK

But I'm not that cool.

The oval one is the winner.  I'm not flashy enough for the diamond one.  It's being ordered tonight.

8 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

I thought you lived in St. Charles? Some of your comments about St. Louis I'm surprised you claim it as your home.:o 

I was born and raised in St. Louis County and I moved to St. Charles County after I came back from college.  Most people consider St. Charles County a suburb of St. Louis even though technically it's not.  It's just across the river though. :)

I think you picked the best one, but I have a question. Most monograms I see, that consist of a person's 3 initials, never have the initials in order of their name. The center, more prominent initial is usually from the surname. Occasionally, I see it as the given first name, too.

Whaddup wit dat? ?

• 4 weeks later...