User Recomended Cleaners

Chestnut

So I've been doing some remodeling and as much as i tried to stop dust from going everywhere, dust when ever where. I have furniture which 95% of it is finished with oil based poly and the other 5% is lacquer. What cleaners won't damage poly, i can only get so much fine dust off with a microfiber cloth at some point i need something moist to aide the cleaning.

I wasn't thinking wet as in will leave moisture on the surface but more like damp. I'll probably vac everything before i wipe it down but i can already see a few spots where grimy stuff won't allow standard wiping. People love to use my coffee table as a dining room table so it gets dirty.

A damp cloth will take care of most things pretty well. We have also used a dish cloth from the sink when doing dishes so it has a little soap on it for stubborn grime followed by a rinsed rag and wiped with a dry towel. 

I have even repaired a finish on one of our pieces after using this method for a few years and I had no problem with adhesion or fisheye. 

The furniture seems easy to clean now I'm trying to find solutions for my floor. 

The problem with searching for these solutions is the doom and gloom i seem to find googling all these products. Seems like the best recommendation is to never get the floor dirty and if you do tear it out and start over. Seems awfully dramatic. I might just try a microfiber cloth that i misted with water to make it very slightly damp and then address each grimy spot individually.

Ugh, hardwood floors.  Get over it, is my advice.  I put in beautiful Brazilian Koa floors about 8 years ago that totally transformed our house from ordinary cracker box to extraordinary cracker box.

Since then we've had two kids, and I've long ago given up attempting to keep my floors nice.  Clean them when they're dirty, learn to live with scratches.  Refinish when the kids go off to college.

That's life, get used to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Ugh, hardwood floors.  Get over it, is my advice.  I put in beautiful Brazilian Koa floors about 8 years ago that totally transformed our house from ordinary cracker box to extraordinary cracker box.

Since then we've had two kids, and I've long ago given up attempting to keep my floors nice.  Clean them when they're dirty, learn to live with scratches.  Refinish when the kids go off to college.

That's life, get used to it.

Pretty accurate summation of wood floors.

I was making fun of the doom and gloom out there. I enjoy a floor with a good lived in look, makes a house look like a house, not some show piece.

Just to see how much abuse floors could take, before i ripped out the ones i replaced i moped them with a bucket of water pine-sol and a mop. After 5 years they didn't really show any damage. I knew it was wrong at the time but i didn't care because i had plans to replace the flooring already.