Plantation Shutters

I've started on my shutters by buying everything from Rockler.  (Their website for calculating the shutter dimensions is awesome by the way.)  Their basswood is pretty pricey though so I was going to buy locally.  Neither of the hardwood dealers here has 6/4 basswood; only 4/4.  

These are going to be painted so can anyone see an issue with making the louvers from 4/4 basswood and the frames from 6/4 poplar?

I've built some shutters using the Rockler kit. It makes it pretty easy to get a nice result. 

I used all poplar for mine and it worked very well. I made the Louvers as well with their router bit.   Getting the control arm clips in is a PITA! But you'll develop a routine and find a rhythm for it.    I with I would have painted before assembly, but since they were my first run with the kit, I wanted to make sure everything worked ok.... One of these days I'll find the time to spray them... When I make more I will definitely pre-paint everything.  

Thanks everyone.  From what I've read, basswood is just stable, light and easy to finish.  That is why it is preferred.  Poplar is another choice wood but heavier.  

If I can get straight 4/4 basswood, I should be able to resaw that and get down to the 3/8 final stock I need.  Maybe that is too optimistic?

I am going to prefinish the ends of the louvers and probably the inside of the stiles.  Once assembled I was planning on spraying them.  I'm going to sand and prime the louvers before cutting them.  I also decided that every window that is the same size will get done at the same time. :) 

As far as the control arms, I am going with the hidden ones so I won't have to worry about all of those staples/clips.