Home Depot "Mahogany" experience?

Has anyone had any "Hands On" experience working with the so-called Mahogany lumber at Home Depot?

I bought a 2 foot piece of 1x8(labeled "A. Mahogany") to go with an Urn project I'm working on. I won't be using any stain on it, I'll probably use Watco Danish Oil (natural color) or something similar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If it's labeled A. mahogany it is probably Khaya senegalensis. It's not as easy to work with as true mahogany  Swietenia macrophylla  but if you use sharp tools and pay attention to grain direction to avoid tearout it should work just fine.

18 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Direct answer,  I do not

Follow up, Wenger do you live that h d has "mahogany"?

My hd has two woods.  Crappy constriction lumber and crappy poplar. Thus ends the selection. 

I was wondering the same thing. We have red oak, poplar or framing lumber. I think they even quit carrying red oak recently.

My local box store (menards) has oak, maple, popalar, knotty pine, clear pine, mahagony and hickory. They also have 4/4 s3s oak and maple though the price is about 4.50 - 5$ a BF.

The board quality sucks imo i don't like the grain and they always just seem boring.

• Like 1

I'm going to go back to HD as my source. I went to my secondary wood source today as my primary was out of qtr. saw sycamore. And secondary's wasn't even qtr. sawn. 28 damn $$ bf!!! Eric, you still raising bonsai as a hobby?

My home depot carries clear pine, not so clear pine, not so clear cedar, red oak, poplar, maple and walnut that I am guessing is steamed because its startling clear and without any sap wood. I was surprised to see the walnut as they didn't used to carry it but for some reason several home depots near me started to carry it. These are all home depots in central maryland. The walnut like all their hardwoods is sold by the linear foot and is no bargain.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Eric, you still raising bonsai as a hobby?

Nah, that never caught on.  I remembered I'm not the kind of person who would be able to water a plant at least once every day for the rest of my life.  But I mess around with my landscape quite a bit, planting Japanese maples, dwarf conifers and cool shrubs and flowering perennials.  I just hauled in two truckloads of compost yesterday and planted a few more.  Fun stuff! :)

51 minutes ago, Mike. said:

landscaping is not quite as expensive as woodworking, but its close.  I blow a bunch of dough every may replacing stuff that didnt survive the polar vortex. 

Gotta get zone 3 plants and they'll survive for sure, zone 4 is probably safe where you are. daylily Hostas and Bleeding hearts are all pretty that last up here in the frozen north plains. Watering for the first year is faily important as well i know it's a PITA. My mom is a master gardner and some of it has rubbed off.

20 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Direct answer,  I do not

Follow up, Wenger do you live that h d has "mahogany"?

My hd has two woods.  Crappy constriction lumber and crappy poplar. Thus ends the selection. 

The 2 near me carry a decent variety of hardwoods, I'm surprised yours isn't the same. Not saying it's great stuff, never tried, but they do carry: walnut, red oak, white oak, soft maple, teak, "mahogany", poplar, alder, and cherry.  Not sure what the stuff labeled mahogany actually is.

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

thanks, I will look into bleeding hearts.  as far as I am concerned, day lillies and hostas are the red oak of gardening :).  Its probably just me, but I was surrounded by hostas growing up.  They look good surrounding a car with no wheels that is up on blocks, or at least the image from childhood that sticks with me.  

It must just be up bringing because there is a hosta cult out there and my mom and grandma have drank the punch. There are the varieties of hosta that are very red oak-ish but it's hard to compare with oak because there are at least 50 different varieties. There are a few that i really like particularly the extremes there are some that are the size of a coffee mug and some that are cabinet saw sized. I also like oak in some places as well though :unsure:.