Trapped in the workshop.

My girlfriend is awesome to me. For my birthday she gave me a set of forstner bits, something that i kinda of needed but never got around to buying. Well I've been busy remodeling my house and haven't had the chance to finish her birthday gift. Now that I've put it off until a week away i need to finish. She told me that i could finish it later and get it to her when ever but that just doesn't seem fair. I don't know if she just is saying this but she tells me she really only appreciates practical gifts so I'm making her night stands because she was using crappy folding serving trays. I'd like to get her something additional and i just can't figure out what that should be, any suggestions?

What project are you procrastinating on that you need to lock yourself in your shop to finish?

13139380_10100988967807719_7114298336659

This is it's brother in it's finished state. Yes the drawer is crooked, and someday I'll remake it.

12400812_10100900032380029_2179945143005

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Maybe a nice set of lamps to go with the nightstands. Nice job by the way.

I helped her pick out the lamps and i learned that she is FAR to picky for me to try and buy something like that for her. I did buy her some really nice LED bulbs that were easy on the eyes for reading.

Those night stands look great! I'm sure that she will love them.

The project that I need to finish is the table that I am doing in project journal. all I have left is to make the drawer pulls but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe this weekend.

As far as what to buy, I am so bad at buying things for my wife she just tells me what to buy her.

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I helped her pick out the lamps and i learned that she is FAR to picky for me to try and buy something like that for her. I did buy her some really nice LED bulbs that were easy on the eyes for reading.

Yeah, I thought about it after I made my post. I could never make the right choice either. I did make a craftsman style table lamp with a mica shade that she loved.

Well the finishing took a while to but the weekend of being chanted to my workbench paid off. I'm done a day early.

13178732_10100992503242679_5847024721017

It is Oak and it is stained but i really like how the top turned out. I have 2 more projects in flat sawn oak then I'm only touching the qtr sawn stuff or something different for a long time. Never really liked it all the much just liked how it was cheap and i didn't feel bad staining it darker.

Right on man. I like the contrast.  I agree,  oak isn't my cup o tea but I'm sure the GF will love it. 

As a matter of a fact,  don't build her projects out of expensive Lumber. I made the mistake of making my wife a picture frame out of wenge and bubinga and now she sees the more common, less complex grained and colored  woods as inferior.

• Like 1

Just now, shaneymack said:

Turned out great. Good job! Have you made her furniture before?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I made her the pair to this one for Christmas. I also made her a really cheap bookshelf for her birthday a year ago from shop scraps. One of these days I'll have to actually buy her a gift.

@Brendon_t That's highly unfortunate, I'll keep that in mind. I'll wait till she gets a ring to spoil her with good woods, then I'll get them back .... maybe :D

7 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Great looking piece Chestnut! I like oak! You'll get what back, the rings??

No just half of it.

Interesting fact about my state. The engagement ring is technically the man's property until the couple is legally married.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Well done, Chestnut! Is it just me, or does that top have some curl to it?

It most definatly does. It's really hard to get pictures of but very obvious in person. I found a 10 foot board that was 75% curl and bought it specifically for this project. I'm starting to work backwards where i buy wood and then try to find a project to use it.

13230098_10100992503282599_8322474872656