Some day I'll quit hoarding these pencils

Tom King

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

What's so special?  Any old pencil will mark light woods...it's the quest for the almighty white pencil that eludes me.  I've settled on General's but I'd still like to find something better.  Any suggestions?

Quit using walnut so the market price will go down!

They stopped making them in the '80s.  Yes, the lead is not only more durable than any other pencil, but the formulation has some type of wax mixed in with it so it writes very smoothly.  The 3's and 4's will leave a line as fine as a marking knife, while at the same time lasting longer than other pencils.  They will leave a finer line right up against something than a mechanical pencil where the lead is encased in a tube.

Berol Black Warriors had the same lead as the Mirado's, but were just round and black, versus hexagonal and yellow, but equally as good quality.

Pencils made since these are pure crap in comparison.  Papermate bought out Berol sometime back then, and the quality gradually went away.

The prices have gone up ridiculously on ebay, but this was an especially good deal, and I'm very glad to get the 42 number 3's.

I don't claim to be a pencil expert, as opposed to a number of others on the internet, but when I find something that works well, I stick with it.  I used to be able to walk in a Mom&Pop office supply store and buy a box off the shelf, but the big box office supply stores put them out of business sometime after Berol was bought out.  I was glad when ebay came along, and I could find NOS ones.

Not only do these last long, but it takes a lot less pressure to leave a marking line on wood than others.  I use them for marking Walnut too.  You just need good, cross lighting to see it well.

Here's one of the real pencil experts:  https://pencilsandotherthings.wordpress.com/tag/174/

• Like 1

Not today either:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/291753357648

The no. 4's are actually my favorites (I'm blessed with really good eyesight), but they are really hard to find for anything less than a buck a piece.  No. 3's do okay, but need to be sharpened more often, although still maybe a factor of 10 less than newer pencils.

It might take a little bit to get used to them.  You don't have to press anything like as hard to leave the same mark as you do with newer pencils that also break easier.

I ordered some light gray colored Berols today.  I'll let you know how they work on Walnut.

The no. 4's last bought came today.  They were either from the 1940's or 50s.  I hope you can see the lines in the picture.  I sharpened one, and drew lines all over a rough cut Cypress board in two directions.  After that, the last line I made is the one going a different direction than the others right off the end of the pencil point. The last line is maybe 2 thou wide.  All those lines were made with that one sharpening, and you can see what's left of the pencil point.

They really don't make them like they used to.

no 4 pencil.png

On 5/18/2016 at 8:37 PM, Eric. said:

What's so special?  Any old pencil will mark light woods...it's the quest for the almighty white pencil that eludes me.  I've settled on General's but I'd still like to find something better.  Any suggestions?

Eric, have you tried the Fons and Porter mechanical pencil that someone mentioned a while back? I tried it out and I like it much more than the Generals. They don't have that charcoal feel like the General. The lead is thick for woodworking, but you can shave it down on sandpaper when you're making a precise mark. It works very well for coloring a marking knife cut.

Another downside is that it's a fabric pencil intended for sewing.;)

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

The no. 4's last bought came today.  They were either from the 1940's or 50s.  I hope you can see the lines in the picture.  I sharpened one, and drew lines all over a rough cut Cypress board in two directions.  After that, the last line I made is the one going a different direction than the others right off the end of the pencil point. The last line is maybe 2 thou wide.  All those lines were made with that one sharpening, and you can see what's left of the pencil point.

They really don't make them like they used to.

no 4 pencil.png

They don't make anything of consequence, like they used to! I cut my finger a day or so ago, and the damn band aid came apart...fresh box.  Almost everything is use, toss, buy new........ suckers!

• Like 1

The little sleeve around the lead in mechanical pencils always bothered me.  I like the bare lead that can be sharpened in a regular hand crank pencil sharpener to a very fine point quickly and easily.

I mark almost everything with a pencil.  Even for hand cut dovetails, I like a sharp no. 4 best.  It's easier for me to cut outside a thin pencil line than a marking knife line.  The marking knife line is usually more bother to me since it makes it harder to leave the marked line than a pencil mark sitting on the surface.

Leave the lines for things like dovetails, and you get a perfect fit.  If the marking knife line draws the saw teeth that way, it's harder to get a tight fit.  For things marked with a preacher, take the line and nothing more, and you get a perfect fit that way too.  I don't remember the last thing I used a marking knife on.

Some people think they're worth more than I do: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Eagle-Mikado-174-No-4-with-Long-Ferrule-NOS-single-pencil-/222121376845?hash=item33b7773c4d:g:VMQAAOSwLpdW-XoK

This 1935 ad shows how they were made.  They were called Mikado before it was changed to

Mirado.   s-l1600.jpg

More useless information, including about the name change from Mikado to Mirado:

http://pencils.com/pencil-library-mirado-pencils/

Someone likes them even better than me:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/162092038827?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  amazing what those sold for.

• 3 years later...

Not today either:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Berol-Mirado-Eagle-Writing-Pencils-174-4-Hard-1-Dozen-New-In-Box/163641951654?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649   I bought what they had.

I'm sure I have more than I will ever need, but the no.4 side of the box was still a little lower than the no. 3 side.