West Systems

Chet

I have never had the occasion to use any epoxy but I imagine that as my skills progress I will eventually have a need.  One thing I don't recall seeing in any of the post here about West Systems epoxy is the shelf life of the unmixed product.  Is it endless, does weather have any thing to do with the shelf life.

I have it and really like it.

My shop fluctuates temps in the winter as I only heat the shop when I'm there.  I did lose a 1/2 can of resin after about 3 years I think because of those temp fluctuations.  

It is expensive but, it's super easy to use and is just the right choice for some projects and applications.  I find it comforting to know if I need it, it's in the shop and ready to go. 

7 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Dumb question, so what's the difference between pot life and working time?  Would think working time is you sitting there gluing in a bunch of slats into something but wasn't sure what pot life exactly means.

As far as I know, it's pretty much the same thing.

22 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Been wondering the same thing, wouldn't mind trying it out but it's pretty expensive stuff. 

Which hardener does everyone prefer? 

I have the 205 and the 206 on hand.  The 206 is what they call the "fast" hardener and has a little bit of color to it.  The 205 is the "slow" hardener but, is super clear!

If you're filling knots or holes with it, suggest having a torch or heat gun on hand.  The curing process creates air bubbles that are quickly knocked out with heat.

Tiods is right they are exactly the same thing. It is a measure of the amount of time that you have after the two are mixed together until they start to cure into a solid state.

The 206 is the slow hardener and 205 is the fast. Below are descriptions from Jamestown Distributors site.

West System 206 Slow Hardener is a low-viscosity epoxy curing agent for use when extended working and cure time is needed or to provide adequate working time at higher temperatures.

At 72-degrees, 206 Slow Hardener will have a 20-25 minute pot life. When combined with 105 Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio, the cured resin/hardener mixture yields a rigid, high-strength, moisture-resistant solid with excellent bonding and coating properties.

West System 205 Fast Hardener is a low-viscosity epoxy curing agent for use when shorter working and cure time is needed or to provide adequate working time at cooler temperatures.

At 72-degrees, 205 Fast Hardener will have a 9-12 minute Pot Life. When combined with WEST 105 Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio, the cured resin/hardener mixture yields a rigid, high-strength, moisture-resistant solid with excellent bonding and coating properties

4 minutes ago, midtnwoodworker said:

Tiods is right they are exactly the same thing. It is a measure of the amount of time that you have after the two are mixed together until they start to cure into a solid state.

The 206 is the slow hardener and 205 is the fast. Below are descriptions from Jamestown Distributors site.

West System 206 Slow Hardener is a low-viscosity epoxy curing agent for use when extended working and cure time is needed or to provide adequate working time at higher temperatures.

At 72-degrees, 206 Slow Hardener will have a 20-25 minute pot life. When combined with 105 Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio, the cured resin/hardener mixture yields a rigid, high-strength, moisture-resistant solid with excellent bonding and coating properties.

West System 205 Fast Hardener is a low-viscosity epoxy curing agent for use when shorter working and cure time is needed or to provide adequate working time at cooler temperatures.

At 72-degrees, 205 Fast Hardener will have a 9-12 minute Pot Life. When combined with WEST 105 Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio, the cured resin/hardener mixture yields a rigid, high-strength, moisture-resistant solid with excellent bonding and coating properties

Poop..  I knew I should of run out and looked at the cans first ;)  Thanks for the correction!

Just now, Beechwood Chip said:

Do you need to do anything with the pumps between uses?  Can I just store the containers with the pumps attached for years, ready to go whenever you need them?

I leave the pumps in mine all the time and never had an issue with it.

I use it often for exotics, bent lamination, and outdoor projects.

It's expensive, but it goes a long way and, like Kev. said, it's good to have on hand.

You can leave the pumps in.

According to Triple H , West Systems used to say it has unlimited shelf life but they change it to "many years". They talk about avoiding freeze/thaw cycles and color darkening with age. Here is the Technical Data Sheet for 105/205.

It lasts years. I don't know how many.  In fact, I don't ever remember any going bad just from sitting.  If you buy the 5 gallon kit, it will darken in the opaque 4-1/2 gallon resin jug, but still seems to work okay.  I've never washed out a pump, but did have one go bad once, so I keep a set of spares.  It's nice now that the pumps come with various length pickup legs to work in their different sizes of kits.

Mine sits in a trailer, or storage building, so does get subjected to freezing temperatures, but it rarely gets seriously below freezing here.

I keep a gallon kit, with a couple of choices of hardeners in a plastic bin to catch any drips.  In the bin are some waxless paper mixing cups,  mixing sticks, disposable gloves, a quart of acetone, some silica thickener, and a roll of paper towels.  A lid on the bin keeps dust out of it, and I'm always ready to go when I need to use some.

The first time I ever used it was in the mid 1980's on a very hot day.  The instructions for use have gotten a lot better since then.   I mixed up a whole quart.  Before I could finish stirring, it turned into a monster foam, and melted the plastic tub I was mixing it in.    Now my typical batch, if it's not too hot, is 6 strokes each.

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

I'm repairing houses.  I mix 1 pump batches sometimes.  The smallest batches of epoxy I mix are for putting golf club heads on, but that's a special black epoxy mixed in graduated 1 oz. plastic cups.

Still, knowing how far a little goes, that's an amazing amount!  Use what you need I guess!

3 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Dumb question, so what's the difference between pot life and working time?  Would think working time is you sitting there gluing in a bunch of slats into something but wasn't sure what pot life exactly means.

I make a distinction between pot life and working time: mixed epoxy will harden much more quickly when it's in a dixie cup than it will when spread out thin.  Pot life is only like ten or fifteen minutes before it heats up and hardens in the wink of an eye, whereas if you poured it out thin on a paper plate, it would stay somewhat viscous for up to an hour or more (oddly, the thinner the layer, the longer it stays viscous).

So that's what I consider working time...the amount of time you have to spread it around on a joint and get it clamped...which is much longer than the pot life.

3 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Ah, thanks for the info, sounds like the 206 would be good stuff to have if I only bought one to start out with.

Yep!  It's another one of those "shop purchases" that I never regret!

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

...oddly, the thinner the layer, the longer it stays viscous...

Not really odd at all.  The reaction is exothermic, and is also sensitive to heat.  So if you keep it in the pot, the heat it generates speeds the cure time.  Spread out, the heat generated can't really affect the mix, so the reaction works at ambient temp.

I use 205 and 207. I started using 207 after reading HHH's tips on it. I love that it is clear and has roughly forever open time. Of course it has the downside of needing to be pretty warm. Even at 60+ degrees it took a long long time to set up. 

If your cans get too cold, West Systems told me I can put them in some hot water, turned upside down and it should return to normal. 

4 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Does it have the potential to get in the grain of the wood and cause problems with the finish like PVA.

It's going to fill grain in the areas you apply it.  It takes finish very well tho unlike PVA glue!