Signing my work

Ronn W

I really should have a good way of signing my work, other than my trusted black Sharpie,  I know that there are branding irons and brass tags.  What do you guys use and do you have a favorite brand that has worked well you?  I am leaning towards a branding iron of some kind.  Whaddaya think?

I wasn't that big into signing my work until someone told me how important it was to them that I did it - something just for them. My wife bought me a hobby wood burning pen for Christmas. It has a fine tip on it and makes a nice clean line once it's heated up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sign and date with a fine point sharpie. Personalizing a piece for friends and family always happens. Favorite clients or a unique project I am proud of get signed & dated.  Commercial work and paint grade work for budget clients I figure why bother.

I even add my web address to client pieces.

• Like 1

I use a custom designed gas torch heated branding iron from http://brandingirons.com/

Serial numbers (on musical instruments) are stamped in with a set of number stamps. I also inlay my logo usually made from mother of pearl or abalone.

On furniture it is just the branding iron on the back and a sharpie used for the date and signature hidden somewhere,

If it is something made to fit somebody's budget it typically does not get signed, but if someone wants a nice piece of furniture I will sign it. I think the branding iron looks better for non-personal pieces, but I prefer hand-written on something for anyone I know or something I am particularly proud of.

10 hours ago, Aj3 said:

I don't sign my work I will if I'm asked.But my commissions don't.Plus I'm a nobody.So my signature is worth nothing.

Im also pretty sure I can recognize my work.If I can't it for good reason.:ph34r:

Aj

We are all someone to somebody.  Wdwerker thoughtfully suggested that I sign a box for my granddaughter and I have had family members say that I should sign my work.  My siblings all have furniture that was handed down from grandparents.  Family history is important to them and they seem to think that my work will have "family value" someday.  I am just considering what method makes the most sense for me.

3 hours ago, Ronn W said:

We are all someone to somebody.  Wdwerker thoughtfully suggested that I sign a box for my granddaughter and I have had family members say that I should sign my work.  My siblings all have furniture that was handed down from grandparents.  Family history is important to them and they seem to think that my work will have "family value" someday.  I am just considering what method makes the most sense for me.

Ron makes a good point and that makes sense to me also.

Im not confidant that my furniture will be handed down.Maybe some of my built in work.I know some of the roof I have done will out live me because people are stuck with it.

Did look at creating a furniture label several years ago when I was super busy.A small tin piece with raised letters.With the name of my business not my name no way.

It turned out to be a pipe dream.

@TIODS

Yes your right Sam Maloof had to start out just like the rest of us.

I wonder why his guys aren't making furniture up there any more.

They couldn't have ran out of wood.

" Yes your right Sam Maloof had to start out just like the rest of us.

They couldn't have ran out of wood."

Where did you hear this? The site is still up and running and there is no mention of them shutting down?

http://sammaloofwoodworker.com/about.html

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Sad day if the Maloof shop really is shutting down. Find that hard to believe though. As for signing furniture, I like Kyle Toth's method. He signs his name and date in pencil and then goes over it with an engraving tool. Burning pen would work well with the same method.

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

" Yes your right Sam Maloof had to start out just like the rest of us.

They couldn't have ran out of wood."

Where did you hear this? The site is still up and running and there is no mention of them shutting down?

http://sammaloofwoodworker.com/about.html

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The last I heard Mike was still in the shop mostly doing repairs Larry is part of the tours and David is on his own.

@Ronn W You might understand this. I wan to get a custom branding Iron made of my PE stamp when i get it except slightly different. Take the state off and make it look less official then my plan is to sign and date over it like any set of plans I'll sign and date.

Currently I'm so dang happy to have finished the project i usually forget about the signature and date part. For the nice projects for friends and the stuff for my self i usually hide my hand drawn sketches in the project somewhere to see if someone finds them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trialbyfire said:

Are we talking "just" a false drawer bottom or some super secret squirrel Masonic type hiding?

Tapped under a drawer hidden under something removable. Naa i don't' want to hide them too well because then they will never get found. I have an inset tile on my dining room table I hid all the plans for the table under that tile. The tile is only removable in the winter. In the summer the wood swells and holds onto it too tightly.

I have a simple brass branding iron from Lee Valley.  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32191&cat=1,43456,43462  Do it on my cutting boards on the side, never on top.  Try to be somewhat discrete with it.  The workmanship should be the showcase, not the brand or signature. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Tapped under a drawer hidden under something removable. Naa i don't' want to hide them too well because then they will never get found. I have an inset tile on my dining room table I hid all the plans for the table under that tile. The tile is only removable in the winter. In the summer the wood swells and holds onto it too tightly.

Very cool, kind of like when the keyhole is only visible at sunset on mid-summers eve when the thrust knocks three times or like the movie "National treasure".